Off to Neverland (12)

Eli had been giving me strange looks all throughout our first classes together. I was going to ask him what the hell he wanted, but I then remembered that I wasn't supposed to be talking to him. I was angry and I hated him, so I wasn't going to talk to him or any of those stupid Lost Boys.

"Have you given up yet?" Eli finally asked me after staring at me for twenty minutes. I blew a piece of my hair from my face, still ignoring anything he had to say. I wasn't going to talk to him, because I knew that it would escalate to something physical if we kept going at it.

Eli raised an eyebrow at me when he saw that I wasn't going to answer him.

"The silent treatment, eh?" he asked, a smirk slowly creeping onto his face. "How mean, Ivy. You can't just stop talking to me..."

I kept my gaze forward, focusing on the teacher as if I didn't even know Eli was there. It shouldn't have been very hard to just ignore him, but he was just way too annoying! His voice was annoying, his face was annoying, and everything else about him was annoying! I couldn't stand him!

"Come on, Ivy," he pressed on, leaning back in his chair now as he continued to smirk. "You know you want to talk to me. I'm not that bad of a guy... Most people love me."

"They're scared of you."

I mentally slapped my forehead, cursing at myself for talking to him. After saying that I wasn't going to talk to any of the Lost Boys again, I had slipped and made a comment to the worst of them all.

Eli smirk grew into a grin as he continued to stare at me, the look on his face telling me that he had won our little battle. But just because he won the battle didn't mean he had won the war...

"Everyone's scared of me, Ivy," Eli sighed, sounding very pleased with himself as he stretched in his seat and placed his hands behind his head. "Get used to it."

I couldn't help but glare at him now. How could someone be so full of himself? I was sure that it was true that everyone was afraid of him, but it wasn't like I was about to agree with him and make his ego even bigger. And actually, it wasn't true that everyone was afraid of him. Because I definitely wasn't.

"I know what you're thinking," Eli now grinned, leaning forward so he was closer to me. I leaned back, not wanting to be anywhere near him. "You're thinking about how you're not scared of me. But you really are, you know. If you weren't, you would have hit me by now. If you weren't scared of me, you would have hit me the other day after what had happened with Jack."

"I'm not stupid," I almost growled, biting my tongue after I had done so. I wasn't supposed to get mad... I couldn't get mad or hit him. If I did, he would have won the war. And I was not about to lose this to him. "I know the only reason you're saying this is so I'd fight you. I'm not giving in that easily, so you better shut your mouth and leave me alone, because I am not leaving this school."

Eli only smirked again, leaning back in his chair for the second time. He just seemed so cocky and full of himself, and I couldn't have hated him more than I did right then. How could someone get off acting this way towards other people? I just didn't understand it!

"The snakes might have not worked, but I have some other things up my sleeves," Eli assured me archly, and my grip on my pencil tightened so much that I wasn't surprise when I heard it snap in half in my hands. If only that was Eli's neck... "You will leave this school whether you like it or not."

This time I smirked at him, showing him that I could be just as arrogant and difficult as he was. I was challenging him now, and there was no way I was losing. "Try me."

But Eli smirked right back at me. "Be prepared."

We both turned back to the front of the classroom now, neither of us saying anything more. Neither of us had won this battle, but that didn't mean that there weren't more to come.