Off to Neverland (26)

Everyone always thought that I was just a stupid troublemaker because I had gotten in a few fights. But if they really knew me, they’d know I was a scholarship student who hated fighting more than anything. But they didn’t care. All anyone ever seemed to care about was themselves and everyone’s outer image. I wasn’t like that. I judged people by the way they acted, not the way they looked.

If I knew I was going to be treated like this, I never would have gotten a job. Ever.

“Hey,” some overweight guy shouted at me as I tried to help another customer. I couldn’t tell if he was drunk or not. “I want another beer!”

I really didn’t think he needed another beer. He looked like he was about to fall right out of his seat and onto the floor, which I was sure my boss would blame me for. I was sure everyone I worked with would blame me…

“Um, I think you’ve had enough,” I told him, not knowing what else I was supposed to say. My boss never told me what to say to them… It wasn’t like I worked at a bar or anything…

“I’ll know when I had enough!” the man snapped, and I took a step away from him just to make sure he couldn’t hit me. “I want another beer!”

Ah, screw it. I’ll get him another beer just to get him to shut the hell up.

“I’ll go get you another one,” I sighed, turning around and heading toward the back. Whatever made the goddamn customers happy... If they stayed happy, then I’d get to keep my freaking job that I didn’t even want in the first place.

I already smelled like alcohol from other people purposely spilling their drinks on me, and I had to change three times because people would also purposely get their food all over me. I really didn’t think I would be treated this badly…

I had gotten the man his beer, and then quickly went to the new table right next to it. I introduced myself to the table of teenage boys, and I couldn’t help but wonder how they were going to pay for their food, even though this place wasn’t the most expensive place out there…

I asked them what they wanted to drink, and they tried to ask me for alcohol until I asked them for their IDs. They then asked for sodas and I wrote them down on my notepad before turning around to give their drink orders in.

“I’m glad we got a hot waitress,” one of the guys at the table said once I turned around. Before I even knew what was happening, I felt a hand smack my ass.

My eyes widening, I spun on my heel and slapped the guy right across his face. How dare he! He looked up at me in surprise, but then smirked once again.

“Ivy!” Chuck, the manager that Jack had threatened into giving me the job, shouted at me from the back, beckoning me over to him with his hand. I glanced back at the boy who had smacked me, glaring at him before making my way toward my boss.

I already knew that this wasn’t going to be good. I was definitely going to be yelled at.

“This is your first warning,” Chuck warned, and I didn’t think I wanted to hear what else he had to say. “You do not hit any of the customers, you hear me? One more time, and you’re fired. I don’t care what your rich boyfriend does.”

I was being treated like a child, and I just couldn’t stand it. The sooner the day was over, the better.

Chuck waved me off to continue waiting tables, and I let out a sigh and did as I was told. My eyes widened when I saw who was waiting at a table only a few feet away from me, and I quickly darted over to it before someone else could snatch it.

“Are you here to see me humiliate myself?” I asked, brushing my hair out of my face as I pulled out my notepad. “Because if you are, then you’ve come at the right time.”