Off to Neverland (44)

“I can’t believe this!” Chloe shouted shrilly, but luckily it was too loud in the dining hall for anyone else to hear her. “Are you being serious? Stephanie Davis was the one who burned down most of Eli’s mansion? She tried to burn down your house and kill Eli and his family?”

“Yep,” I sighed, stabbing a piece of lettuce before placing it into my mouth. “It was all Stephanie. She thought it was Eli’s fault that her dad died.”

“She’s been my friend since the beginning of last year,” Chloe breathed, nearly sinking in her seat. “I thought she was so nice and sweet. I never would have thought that she was actually crazy behind all that niceness.”

I shrugged. “People can be deceiving.”

“Well, I guess it’s just the two of us then,” Chloe sighed, and for some reason it kind of made me feel bad. “When you ate with Jack, it was only Stephanie, Simon, and me. Then you and Jack broke up and you and Simon started avoiding each other so it was only you, Stephanie, and me. But now Stephanie is who knows where and Simon is still gone…”

I made a face at the mention of Simon. I had way too many problems to deal with, and he was one of them. I didn’t think I would ever be free of any type of problems…

“I just can’t believe that I never knew Stephanie hated Eli that much,” Chloe now told me with a frown, and I couldn’t help but agree with her. “I feel kind of betrayed. She was my closest friend before you came along, Ivy.”

I smiled at her but said nothing. Honestly, I didn’t even know what I was supposed to say. I didn’t even know Stephanie that well, and she had almost broken my nose the day before. I really just wanted to stop thinking about her.

“But I’m glad Eli was there to help you yesterday,” she continued on now. “Who knows what she could have done if he didn’t show up? She was already out to kill Eli; I don’t know why she wouldn’t have killed you, too…”

I looked over at the table that all the Lost Boys sat at to look at Eli, and I was surprised when I saw that he was already staring at me. I smiled awkwardly, giving him a small wave. He winked at me, and I quickly turned back around away from him in embarrassment.

“Were you looking at Tyler?” Chloe asked, a grin on her face growing once I turned back toward her. “You were, weren’t you? I can’t believe that you’re actually dating him now. I would have thought that you’d go after Eli before Tyler.”

For some reason, my cheeks burned at what she had said. I quickly shook my head at her, nearly shouting, “I don’t like Eli like that!”

Chloe smirked. “Uh-huh, because I totally believe that.”

I didn’t even bother fighting back with her, because I knew that there was no point in doing so. She wasn’t going to believe me no matter what I said, so I wasn’t even going to waste my breath by trying to defend myself.

“Didn’t you say that you had a test to retake today?” I asked her now, because I was about one hundred percent sure that she forgot. “You were raving about it yesterday and all this morning about how you had to retake a test at lunch, but now you’re sitting here like every other normal day.”

Chloe’s eyes widened, and I smirked at her. I should have known earlier that day that she was going to completely forget about it. Sometimes I just didn’t understand that girl… I loved her to death, but she was just so forgetful…

“I’ll see you later, okay?” she nearly shouted quickly before grabbing her stuff and hopping right out of her chair. I laughed, watching her run out of the dining hall like her life depended on it. I then turned back toward my food, looking down at it and finding that I had lost my appetite.