-The Stars Shine For You-

(Vic's Pov)

I smiled widely to myself as I wrapped a blindfold around my boyfriend of a year and two months, Kellin. I had set up a small picnic near a cliff that isn't too high up, but would still hurt if you fell. It was one place where we would always go to get away from drama, have cheesy dates and it's the spot where I asked Kellin to be my boyfriend. I set up this small picnic because not only does he have a giant soft spot for cheesy dates, but Kellin wants to do a list of things before...something...happens; if it ever does happen.

Kellin's been diagnosed with lung cancer when he was five. They thought they got rid of it when he was eleven but here he is at seventeen, suffering worse than ever. He has a lot of trouble breathing without his oxygen tank that he had on a small back pack. Kellin also went through chemotherapy, which resulted in him losing his hair, but he's still just as beautiful even though he always has a beanie covering his head.

He's still a normal person, however. He didn't want to date me at first since he was scared of me getting hurt from the day if he ever passes from his disease. I have such strong faith he can make it. Kellin's tough, and I know he can do it. As for us dating, I wouldn't ever change my decision on asking him out. Kellin's the best thing that's happened to me. Even if he has a small disadvantage, I still love him just as much as I would without his cancer.

"Vic, why do I have to be blind folded?" He let out a soft giggle that turned into a small cough.

"You okay?" He nodded in reply. "Alright. And because, mister, it's a surprise." I chuckled lightly then grab his pale fingers. Kellin clutched onto my larger hand as I led him through the small path we made from the first few times we have came here. When we get to the clearing where I had set up a picnic basket, a large blanket on the ground with Kellin's favorite vanilla scented candles surrounding it. I bit back my smile as I undid his blindfold.

Kellin's mixture of ocean blue and green eyes light up in awe as he looked around. "Vic, this is so cute." He smiled brightly, and pulled me into a tight hug, stifling his cough into his own elbow. I hugged him back, inhaling his scent of cinnamon and cocoa.

"You like it?" I asked him in a soft tone. I felt Kellin nod against my shoulder and shake slightly from another cough. I pulled away gently and kissed his cheek, right under the tube that wraps around both his ears to his nose. I led Kellin over to the blanket, then helped him down gently. It's not that he needs the help because I know he's an independent person, I just enjoy treating him like the prince he is.

"Mm, did you bring Mac and cheese?" He asked, hands eagerly waited above the basket where I did in fact put a container of Mac and cheese, sandwich slices and strawberries with whipped cream for dessert. I seated myself down right in front of Kellin with a sly grin.

"I don't know. Did I?" I teased.

Kellin rolled his eyes playfully, as he opened the basket. He then took the tub aware containers that held the food out. He grinned, and leant over slightly to kiss my cheek. I smiled as the familiar butterflies floated around in my tummy. I leaned forward to him, giving him a loving kiss on the lips. I pulled away with a stupid smile plastered on my face.

"It's not a fancy dinner, but I have that planned for Tuesday night." I smiled as I took a bite from my sandwich. Kellin giggles/coughs before he started to nibble at the macaroni and cheese noodles.

After we finished eating and Kellin purposely putting whipped cream on his nose for me to kiss off, we laid down, me on my back while Kellin laid his head on my chest. We were sitting in a comfortable silence until Kellin's soft spoken voice spoke.

"Vic, you like the stars right?" He asked as he turned over a little to face me.

I thought a bit about the question. "Well, they are pretty and sometimes give people wishes if they're falling, so I'd say I like stars."

A small smile etched itself onto his beautiful face before he turned back to looking up at the sky.

"Good, because one day I'll be up there and I promise I'll make the stars shine for you." He whispered while he nuzzled his face against my chest. I smiled sadly, rubbing his back slowly.

"I love you, Victor." He muttered.

"I love you too, Kel." I replied just as quietly and then he fell asleep.

--

I knew exactly what Kellin meant by him being up with the stars, I just refused to listen at the time. I refused to believe that he'd ever go, but here I am. A year later, sitting in the same spot our blanket was placed. I always told Kellin he'd live a long happy life and that I'd spend it with him, but I broke that promise. That night, August 12, Kellin fell asleep, only I didn't realize at first it was an eternal sleep.

I remember that night just like it was last night. I woke up the next morning, excited to tell Kellin about a dream I had where he didn't have cancer anymore and how it felt like the future, but I never got the chance to tell him about it for his body was completely shut down. I cried, screamed at him to wake up, I called an ambulance then his parents, I cried some more, and I refused to leave his grave site the day of the funeral until Mike came and got me once it was dark. I still visit him; I even visit our spot almost every week. Call me hung up about him, but I was and still am so deeply in love with Kellin. Everything about him was perfect. Sure, he had a disadvantage, but he was still the most beautiful, smart, kind, big hearted, loving boy I have ever met.

I pick at the grass by my leg, one blade at a time. I could feel the lump of fire in my throat just thinking about how I can't spend this night with Kellin. The hot tears started blurring my vision, so I look up, blinking rapidly trying to rid the tears. I gaze around the clear night sky, silently wishing Kellin was seated right besides me.

"I-I really miss you, you know." I say out loud, clutching onto the strands of grass under my hands. I search the sky for an answer. I'm not sure what answer, I just know Kellin always loved the sky. From the sun rise, sun set, the clouds, the moon, and the stars. Kellin really loved the stars. I avert my gaze to the stars, letting some tears fall down my cheeks, knowing it'd be useless to try and not cry.

As I'm looking at the stars, one catches my eyes, one that glows brighter than any of the other stars surrounding it. I couldn't help the swell in my chest as I let out a small sob.

"You kept your promise and I'm so fucking sorry I couldn't keep mine." I say, shaking my head slowly. I couldn't hold it in anymore as I start to break down into silent but painful sobs. I wrap my arms around myself tightly, keeping my eyes on the brightest star up in the sky.

"I promise I'll make the stars shine for you."

And he meant it. He kept that promise, making me feel comfort through my crying while sitting under the dark night sky covered in shiny specks of light.

~