A Surprise.

Chapter Four: A Surprise.

Jessica's POV: After

    Knock Knock... Knock Knock.

    I woke up to the sound of knocking on the door, I peaked outside my bedroom door to see that the door was open and my mother stood there but the person on the other side of the door was out of my sight, it was probably just Cathleen. From behind me I heard Elliot wining from the being woken up by the different noise. Before I could catch a glimpse and see if my suspicion was accurate, I went to take care of my baby.

    I continued on with my usual morning routine and completely forgot all about the door when I started walking downstairs with a bright-eyed Elliot in my arms. I was distracted by getting breakfast for myself and getting some coffee that I walked right by the living where my mom sat. I waved as my good morning as I didn't want to intrude but my mom looked nervous and really tense. I continued on my way with Elliot cooing beside me, I giggled at his little noises and started preparing cereal as I waited for the coffee to be done. I sang to Eli as I went and he seemed quite content given he is two months so he shouldn't have much to be complaining about other than a dirty diaper.

    "Jessica? How rude, you didn't even come to say good morning to your big brother." I stopped what I was doing as soon as I heard that voice, this couldn't be good. Luckily from where I was standing my body was covering Elliot from Daniel's intense gaze that I could feel on my back. I was screwed and confused, Daniel wasn't supposed to be home for another couple days.

    "Jessica, did we wake you? I'm so sorry, I forgot that you had a busy night with Elliot up all night." Thank you mom for being my saviour... except the worst was still to come.

    "Elliot? Who's Elliot?" Daniel asked curiously from still behind me. I guess my tense stance sent off a warning sign to back off. Mom didn't care as she came up and tried to take Elliot out my arms but I wouldn't let her and ever so slowly I started to turn to face Daniel.

    "Eli-Elliot is m-my u-um s-son." Once I had finally found my voice, I was still nervous as hell. 'Please don't freak out, please don't freak out' I chanted in my head. My heart was racing and my palms were getting super sweaty but with Elliot in my arms it calmed me just the tiniest bit.

    When I got the courage to look up at Daniel's face, which had changed over the last 11 months, I was surprised to see that he looked... calm? I kept watching him to see if it had hit him yet but he still looked calm which didn't last long because as soon as I blinked he was gone and soon I heard the front door slam shut. I looked at my mother but she didn't seem to have an answer either, this was the first time in my life that I've seen my mother look just as lost as I was.

~

    My brother didn't come home until mid afternoon when the Grant family arrived for Sunday dinner, which was more like a full day event. When Parker walked through the door I could feel his eyes on me from where I stood beside my dad who kept throwing worried glance in my direction every few seconds. I smiled at Cathleen, David, and Jane, Parker's fifteen year old sister, as soon as they came in and soon I was embraced by both of them. Daniel wouldn't make eye contact and before I could really look at Parker, my brother whisked him away to the backyard.

    I sighed and started walking to the kitchen to help with dinner, I just needed something to get my mind off the two boys who were outside. Cathleen, Jane, and my mom followed after me and my dad and Parker's dad, David, went out the back to meet with the boys.

    As Jane and I worked on dessert, I felt everyone's eyes on me and they were just making me more anxious but I needed to stay strong for Elliot and myself. I couldn't control their reactions and worse comes to worse, I am a single mother and I am prepared for that.