A Saturday.

Chapter Seven: A Saturday.

Parker's POV: Before

    "You guys are totally going to be missing out when you ship off. Seriously I've been waiting for the past four years just to go to college so that I can party and have my parents pay for it." Justin told us as we continued to run around the court. Since middle school the four of us have had pick-up games of basketball every Saturday if the weather is nice enough. It's a little sad though to think that this is going to be our last summer of that tradition before Daniel and I ship off and Justin heads to college. Ricky is the only one staying in town because he claims that he would rather work but we all know that the real reason is because he's a big mama's boy and doesn't want to leave his mom alone.

    "As if Justin, we all know that you won't be getting into crazy parties since you'll be to busy getting your homework in on time." Daniel called to Justin as he went in for a layup.

    Daniel spoke the complete truth though about Justin, he is not one for partying and always skips out on us to finish his homework.

    "Quite trying to take my job Justin!" Ricky yelled out jokingly. It is an on going joke that our group has, about someone else taking our job. When high school started and we became 'known' at school each of us had been given stereotypes that the rest of the school identified us as. Daniel was given the role of the heartbreaker because of his reputation with girls, Ricky was labelled the bad boy because of his mysteriousness and his motorcycle, Justin became the boy next door because, well, that's really his personality, and I became known as the leader. To be honest the whole thing is a complete joke to us but we take our roles very seriously especially when someone tries to take our jobs.

    "Parker! Snap out of it! I can't play this game by myself." Daniel complained. That snapped me out of my train of thought.

    "I'm sure you could take those two by yourself if you actually tried there Daniel." I sarcastically remarked. He made a 'pft' sound and then shoved me a little.

    "Parker, Parker, you give him way too much credit, he could never take on the unbeatable bad boy." Ricky confidently bluffed.

    "I sense a challenge." Justin chimed in. I laughed because I knew that Daniel would take on any challenge because he loved having bragging rights.

    "Oh Ricky you are so on..." Daniel told him before Ricky could even think about what was about to happen.

~

"Welcome back folks, I am here today with Parker Grant as we witness the game of a life time. Two challengers match up against each other in a battle to the deaths, so far we are all tide up but this game is definitely not going to end pretty. Now, Parker, who do you say will win this tight match? Both competitors have quit the history of being the best players in high school but who do you truly say will win?" Justin asked me as he imitated a sports announcer.

    "You know Justin, I have to say that Ricky has put up quite the remarkable battle and I think that Daniel might just get his ass beat during this game. Now Daniel has also been making some amazing strategical moves during this game and he could definitely outsmart Ricky if he plays his cards right. To be honest I am torn and this might be the best one-on-one game I have ever seen." I tell Justin, continuing to speak exactly like a sports announcer. Before Justin can respond both Ricky and Daniel are back on the court and it seems like everything around us just silences.

    It's Ricky's start and as he attempts a three pointer, Daniel successfully intercepts the ball and heads back to half court. Once the ball has been checked, Daniel dribbles... once, twice... after the third bounce of the ball the entire world goes into slow motion as Daniel picks up the ball and gets ready to shoot. This has never been something anyone of us has ever tried during a one-on-one game and Daniel looks determined to make this the most epic moment ever.

    With one fluid motion Daniel releases the ball, Ricky stops being in defense mode and just stares at the moving ball, Justin and I jump to our feet and as the ball continues its journey through the air we all wait in anticipation for what will happen.

    Swish.

    Immediately we all joined the other boys at half court and we all had the look of complete and utter shock on our faces.

    "Daniel, you totally deserved to win that game." Ricky said in awe as he went in for a bro-hug. We all nodded along with Ricky and soon enough we were all congratulating Daniel on his impeccable win.

    "It look like we have ourselves a basketball one-on-one champion." Justin announced.

~

    "Jessica you missed the most epic shot I have ever seen! It was absolutely incredible!" Justin told Jess excitedly as soon as she stepped inside the house. She nodded along through the entire story as Justin animatedly told her every last excruciating detail. She laughed when Ricky challenged her brother and smiled brightly as Justin reenacted our very professional announcements of the game play. She looked at me every now and then and I'd always make sure to catch her gaze. I really wish that I could have kissed her when we first walked in the house.

    "It sounds like I missed out on the best game yet." Jess told Justin when he had finished the story. Jessica sometimes joins us on our Saturday tradition since all of the guys love her like a little sister and she's practically one of the guys. She's even challenged all of us for one-on-one and though we would deny it to anybody else, she kicked all of our asses.

    "Hey Jess, are you joining us for the movie marathon in the basement?" Ricky asked her.

    "I don't think so Ricky, I wouldn't want to ruin your guy time." She teased as she started to ascend upstairs. Ricky looked a little disappointed but I think we all knew that this might be one of our last times to actually spend with just us.

    "I'm going to go to the bathroom, I'll be down there in a minute." I excused myself as I started to head upstairs except not to the bathroom but to Jessica's room, the one place in this house that I could actually be with my girlfriend and not have to pretend that she's just Daniel's little sister.

    "How did I know you would follow me up here?" Jessica asked immediately after I had opened the door. She was leaning against the wall opposite the door, she had her eyebrows raised and I knew she was most likely expecting me to come up with an answer.

    "I guess you just know me that well." I told her genuinely as I closed and locked the door and then made my way towards her.

    I placed my hands on her hips before I began to speak again. "I really missed you today, maybe I wouldn't have been as distracted thinking about what you were up to." I whispered to her.

    "You do have a tendency to space out, don't you?" Jessica teased. She then wrapped her arms around my shoulders and leaned up to give me a peck on the lips. "If it makes you feel any better I missed you too. I really hate going to the mall especially on a weekend." Jessica whined.

    "Suck it up, buttercup." I told her as she pouted more at my comment. "I should go before the guys think I've clogged the toilet." I jokingly said to her. She laughed but then looked a bit sad as I began to untangle myself from her. She gave me one last kiss for the road and then I was back to Parker Grant, not Jessica Turner's boyfriend.

~*~*~*~*

Hey Guys!!

Hope you're enjoying it so far!! I love to hear what you think so don't forget to vote or comment. I've also changed the title, I felt that 'Stay With Me' didn't really suit the book so I changed it to 'Discovering Jessica' which I feel really describes what I'm planning the book to be. Let me know what you think.

Until Next Time!

bookworm