A Shower.

Chapter Sixteen: A Shower.

Jessica's POV: Before

"Hello?" His voice rang out, completely oblivious to who was holding the phone on the other line.

"Hello?" He asked once again and before I could open my mouth to say the words 'I'm pregnant' the line dropped dead and the sound of Parker's breathing ended. I had been having nightmares for the past two months now and every single day becomes an even bigger struggle for me to work up the nerve to finally tell Parker. I just couldn't do it, not when he was thousands of miles away. This felt like something I should be telling him in person but with the haunting images of Parker drenched in blood, it seemed like actually seeing Parker in person might never happen, ever again.

His and Daniel's letters have been getting less and less frequent as of late. I think my mom told Daniel that I've been going through a rough time which I'm pretty sure that he passed onto Parker because his letters are becoming a rare phenomenon. Sometimes I really wish that I could just go back in time.

"Jess! Can you please come downstairs now, we are going to be late for our reservation!" My mom called from downstairs. I really didn't want to go out.

"One minute, I just need to find my..." I stopped as I waddled halfway down the stairs to find my mom, Cathleen, Jane, and Sofia all gathered together in the living room.

"Surprise!" They yelled in unison. I then noticed the balloons, banner, decorations, and food that were surrounding the living room. I could feel myself smiling as I continued to walk the rest of the way downstairs, only to be bombarded with hugs and words of 'congratulations' from everyone. I kept staring at the front door though, waiting for the one person who I've always been able to rely on, Hanna. Except she was no where to be found, I guess I should have guessed that since she had practically avoided me like the plague since the news of my pregnancy spread around school. Nobody wanted to be friends with the pregnant girl, let alone best friends like Hanna and I once were.

It all started back in freshman year which was when my tomboy ways finally caught up with me and the girls who I had grown up with started to realize that high heals, daisy dukes, and crop tops were the 'in' thing to do. That's when Hanna came along, she too was a little slow when it came to the latest and greatest of trends and she preferred sports, reading, and music. We met during tryouts for the track and field team and had been best friends since.

She was practically family in mine and Parker's house. Her, Jane, and I all used to be really close. Unfortunately when the rumour of my pregnancy spread throughout the school, people couldn't stand being near me. It was as if people got too close, they too would get the 'disease' known as a baby. Hanna and Jane stuck by my side at least until I started to show and that's when Hanna started to come around less often. Avoiding my calls and texts, purposefully avoiding me at school, and leaving me by myself during classes. Jane tried to help ease things over by spending more time with me but I got fed up with high school by December so I took up some extra classes and by the end of January, I finished all of the credits that I needed to graduate. Since then, I've been taking college classes online and taking as many hours at the diner. Hanna has not once seen me since I walked out of the entrance doors.

"Thank you guys so much, I can't believe you all did this for me!" I said to all of the girls, all of them beaming at me as we sat and talked about anything and everything that had been going on lately. So far we had managed to eat more than we should have, talk until our ears were soar, play some weird baby related games, and open presents. They were able to get my mind off of almost everything, except for that I wished the father would be here but I know that it would be impossible.

"We have one last thing for you as well." Sofia said suspiciously. Apparently she had put this entire thing together with my mom and I couldn't believe that I worked with someone as amazing her.

"Okay, now we have to go upstairs and then you have to close you eyes." My mom told me. I followed everyone up the stairs as they all waited anxiously for me to finish waddling my way up. I had gotten pretty big over the last few weeks and I really can't wait to get this baby out, even though I still have another three weeks before I am full term.

"Okay, now open your eyes!" They all yelled as I took in what used to be our guest bedroom, or Parker's room before they shipped off. It looked completely different, now there was a changing table, a cradle, a crib for when the baby got bigger, a rocking chair, and everything baby related. I couldn't believe they did this, especially without my knowing.

"Thank you all so much but how did you do this?" I asked them all. I couldn't get over my shock.

"Since you never come in here, we thought that this would be the best place for us to do this without you seeing." My mom said. The reason I hadn't been in here was because it reminded me of Parker but now that I think of it, this is the perfect place for the nursery.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you." I told everyone as they all came to give me a hug. I had some of the greatest people in my life, that is certain. It wasn't long after my big surprise that everybody started to trickle back into their own lives, leaving me home by myself after my parents left for dinner. The day had definitely taken its toll on me and I headed immediately to my room to rest. When I walked in though, there was a box on my bed.

Next to the mysterious box of things, was my phone with four missed calls from the number that haunted my nightmares because of who was on the other line. I stared at my phone for five minutes before finally giving up on waiting for another call and looked into the box. Inside, there sat all of Parker's things from his old room. Everything from his clothes to his pyjamas but what surprised me the most was at the bottom of the box. It was wrapped in one of his hoodies, hidden from plain sight. It was a picture of us from his sixteenth birthday party and though things weren't perfect, the picture seemed to make everything okay even if it's just for now.

~*~*~*~*