chapter thirteen

Austin, Harry, mom and I purposelessly cruised the streets of Times Square, taking quick glimpses of our surroundings. We decided to come to inner New York, where most of the attractions are. Mom would be able to see the stunning part of New York for the last time, and based on her attitude most of the day, she's in high spirits.

We spent the day roaming around, going to touristy areas, like Madame Tussuad's wax museum, Rockefeller Center, and - which I absolutely loved - the International Center of Photography.

We decided to go somewhere to eat lunch, going to a well known grill and bar that was nearby called The Cannibal. We would've gone to a restaurant but almost every one that was within a walking distance required reservations, and was extremely expensive.

We sat in a booth with a window that gave a view of the hectic and tireless streets. I slid in next to mom, Harry joining Austin on the opposite side. I mentally prayed that they wouldn't be trying to crush the bones in each other's hands underneath the table.

A blonde woman in a blue apron with floral print approached us, pad in hand and an exaggerated smile plastered on her face.

"Hi, welcome to The Cannibal, can I get you a drink?" she asked brightly.

"I'll have a Sprite," I replied.

"I'll have water," Harry spoke.

"Same for me," mom added.

"A coke," Austin grinned.

They exchanged drawn out looks before Austin shot her a wink.

"Great, I'll be right back," she said, walking back to the kitchen.

I scoffed, shaking my head at him.

"What?" he shrugged innocently.

"You're relentless," I chuckled.

After we received our drinks and ordered lunch - mom ordered a salad; her appetite was small since the diagnosis - we engaged in pointless conversation, which soon turned into a family feud.

"So, Ella, did you tell mom?" Austin questioned, biting into his burger.

"Tell me what?" mom chimed in.

"Yeah, tell her what?" I laughed, confused.

"About you and Harry."

Harry's head shot up and his eyes widened. I scrunched my eyebrows at Austin, more surprised than perplexed.

"What is there to tell?" Harry broke in.

"Aren't you guys...together?" He took a sip from his Coke. I knew what he was trying to do.

"No," I said firmly.

"Didn't seem that way when you were playing tonsil tennis on the floor in the kitchen a couple days ago. Covered in flour, I might add," he replied smugly.

"Austin!" I hissed.

"Just thought you should know, mom."

I looked to mom, who was trying to absorb the information discoursed in less than sixty seconds.

"What the hell are you trying to accomplish?" I almost yelled. "Are you trying to make yourself look like the one with the halo so that when mom - "

"Alright, enough!" mom whisper-shouted. "People are staring."

I glared at Austin, who returned an expression of victory and slight anger.

"Let's just have a nice lunch together, okay?" It was obvious she wanted today to go well.