chapter thirty

Calloused fingertips traced gentle lines on the expanse of my bare back. Light, aimless patterns being drawn on my skin. Fingernails lightly scratching the surface, making me slowly rouse from my dreamless sleep.

Her touches were so soft - delicate, it almost felt as though it wasn't there. To confirm this wasn't a figment of my imagination, my eyes slowly blinked open. My cheek pressed to the pillow I rested on, the satin sheet bunched up on the small of my bare back. I recalled having to remove my t shirt last night. Ella had the material bunched up in her small fists throughout the night, fisting at it repeatedly, causing it to tightly constrict around my neck.

Beside me lay a certain chestnut haired girl. Her eyes were a brilliant light shade of hazel, framed with thick dark lashes. She grinned, sweeping the distraught hair off of my forehead. I sleepily smiled, humming as she leaned over and placed a chaste kiss between my shoulder blades.

"It's harder for me to be mad at you when you do that," I joked, voice coming out softer than expected.

"That's the point," she said softly, exhaustion in her tone as well.

A pattering on the roof caught my attention. "Is it raining?"

Ella nodded, a toothless grin spreading across her face. My focus went to the window, trees swaying with the winds as rain droplets gathered on the glass.

"And I have no plans today."

My eyes fluttered shut, smile playing on my lips with her words.

"You were watching me sleep?" Soft kisses were placed along the length of my spine - her warm breath fanning over my skin in tiny puffs making goosebumps prick onto my skin.

She faintly hummed, and I took that as a confirmation to my question. "Creep."

I felt her smirk against me. Peeling one eye open to look over my shoulder.

"I was gazing," she retorted.

"Mm," I smiled as she pecked my cheek, letting me roll over onto my back as she stretched out beside me. "How Shakespearean of you."

She laughed. "I'm quite the romantic, actually."

I opened both eyes to bet met with hers, arching a brow. She lay on her side, hand underneath her head against the pillow.

"Well, don't look so shocked," she said playfully.

I chuckled as she grinned. I took a moment to appreciate the light coming in through the window that brightened her features. The dips and curves of her face highlighted perfectly, the glimmer in her irises causing my heart to flutter.

"What?" she asked, noticing my smile had faded.

"So beautiful," I muttered.

Her cheeks tinged a light red, and I grimaced. "We've been together almost seven months now, and I still make you blush."

She propped her head using her elbow. "Has it really been just seven months?" she asked, almost in disbelief.

"Feels longer, doesn't it?" I couldn't come to terms with it myself; the months seemed like ten years time with Ella.

"Doesn't really matter anyway," she beamed. "I would spend an eternity with you."

My lips coiled into a whole-hearted smile, leaning over to sloppily kiss her face as she giggled.

"I am so in love with you," I breathed, forehead pressed to hers.

I knew the term was unbelievably cliché, but she simply grinned, fitting her lips into mine. That was all the reassurance I needed.