chapter twenty seven

"There's one in James Park in Westminster for fifty per week," I called from the bed, setting my laptop next to me. "It's a two bedroom, two and a half bath, and it apparently has a great view from the tenth floor."

"It's a flat?" he questioned from the bathroom, shutting off the running water.

"Yeah, why?"

"Don't you think we should get a house?"

Harry and I were searching for a new apartment. We decided that both of us living separately would be difficult about a week after me telling him. I pretty much had no other choice but to agree, considering the situation, but things were most likely going to play out with me moving in with Harry anyway, so it didn't make much of a difference.

"Why would we get a house?" I asked. The apartments in London and Westminster were fairly decent, and not as pricey compared to the ones in America. I didn't see the purpose in getting a house, if it was just going to be the two of us. Well, three.

He came to stand in the doorway, lean figure bracing against the frame as he ruffled his damp hair with a towel. I took note of his tan, inked skin, eyes running over his torso until the defined lines dissapeared into his joggers.

"You know, for the baby to walk around, or crawl, or toddle, or whatever it wants to do."

My shoulders jolted. "He...or she can do that in an apartment."

"What if he or she wants a swing-set, or a backyard to run around in?" he pointed out, tossing the towel in a corner of the room. I would have to get used to his lazy habits.

"But I don't think we need a house," I said, my voice sounding like a mother telling her child to put something back on the shelf in the supermarket.

He shuffled over to the foot of the bed, lifting my ankles to part my legs. He settled himself in between them, plopping down on the duvet on his stomach. Elbows on either side of my hips as he propped himself up.

"Well, about that..." he trailed off, hands tracking up my sides underneath my t shirt. "I was thinking...you know, having this baby, it's gonna cost a lot, obviously. And I refuse to support a family by living off my dad's inheritance, which is running out, anyway."

"What are you trying to tell me, Harry?" I chimed in.

"What if..." he began, eyelashes brushing the tops of his cheeks as he avoided my gaze. "What if I took over my father's company?"

I blinked, attempting to absorb his words.

"Didn't it close down?"

"No, that was just a smaller building owned by him. They closed it down when they moved to a bigger one," he answered.

My eyebrows crinkled with his suggestion. I knew he hated his father's business and anything associated with it, so why change his mind now?

"Harry," I sighed, wagging my head. "Don't feel like you have to do that because - "

"No, but Ella, it's not just because of the baby," he interrupted. "William invited me down there a couple years ago, and it was so depressing. The people working there seemed so unhappy. Anyone could tell that they hated their job. And my father, even though he was greedy and selfish and terrible at taking care of his family, he was a great boss. Whenever I would go when I was younger, the staff would always say hi, and they always had smiles on their faces."

His tone deemed hope for these people, and I had a notion as to where he was going with this.

"And William was telling me that if they didn't start making more profits, or at least as much as they did when my father was around, they're gonna close down the company in a few years. And this was two years ago, so they don't have a lot of time left." His tongue peeked out to moisten his lips, letting out an exhale. "Ella, all those people, they're gonna loose their job. A job that they loved, at one point. It would kill me knowing I could've prevented that from happening, but it didn't because I was being selfish. William can't take care of it forever. And it's time for me to do something with my life."