chapter thirty three

I arranged the new pictures in rows on the table, deciphering the black and white from the colored. A strand of hair fell in front of my face before I tucked it behind my ear while quickly taking a bite out of the buttered toast I recently made.

I had managed to pry myself out of Harry's hold on my waist this morning. For the past three days, I hadn't talked to him, although he tried countless times to receive some type of response from me. I told myself that I wasn't going to have any form of communication with him until he told me the truth. I think he figured that out himself, despite his attitude that said otherwise. He went on with the day normally; it's almost as if I hadn't been ignoring him it wouldn't have made a difference. I suppose he was attempting to avoid the conversation we needed to have, but I figured eventually he would have to.

The sudden proximity of body heat radiated onto my back, ample hands running against the skin of my sides. I potentially melted with his touch, and I mentally cursed myself for giving into him so easily.

Lips pressed to my neck, a trail of kisses to my shoulder. "Happy birthday," he whispered, breath fanning over the shell of my ear.

I bit back a growing smile, gripping his wrists to remove them from my hips. I huffed and shuffled over to the cabinet, reaching up to get a mug. My height yet again proved as a disadvantage; my fingers not hooking into the handle.

An arm stretched above me, bringing the mug off the shelf into my hand. I swiveled around to be met with a signature smug grin and bright jade eyes. My eyes scanned over him to avert his gaze. He stood in an unbuttoned black suit and a loose tie hung around his neck.

"You're welcome," he said arrogantly. I rolled my eyes in annoyance, swerving around him before he caught my forearm.

"Ella," he sighed. His tongue peeked out between his lips before running over them."I don't want this again. I just got you back."

I looked at him expectantly.

"We just got over this bump. And it's your birthday," he said excitedly. "It's supposed to be a happy occasion."

My eyes were hard and lips were set in a straight line while my arms folded against my chest.

"You're not going to let it go, are you?"

I remained silent, my eyebrows perking up. He must have read my expression, exhaling as he shook his head.

"Alright, you know what, I'll tell you everything you want to know tonight, when we have dinner at my apartment. I'm making something special," he playfully droned.

A grin creeped onto my face, and I ducked my head to prevent Harry from seeing it.

"Is that a smile? I know I saw a smile," he teased. "Does that mean yes?"

I peered up at him, nodding my head and he grimaced in victory.

"Well now that that's settled, can you help me with this tie? I can't get the bloody thing to stop choking me."

I airily chuckled before reaching for the material draped around his neck. I crossed the small end of the tie over the larger, wrapping it behind the other. I brought it over the front, pulling it through the top, tugging on it lightly to make sure it was secure.

"There you go," I said, examining my work. "If I didn't know any better, I would've said we were a nineteen-thirties couple."

He laughed, fastening the last button on his suit before smoothing it out with his palms. My head tilted to the side, sizing him up while I gave an approving demeanor.

"You look nice."

"I know," he grinned. "William took me for suit fittings yesterday. Apparently I lean to the right too much."