chapter twenty five

"Ella, if you're not feeling well, you know you shouldn't come to work," Mitch said, shrugging his coat onto his shoulders. 

"I know, I think I ate some under-cooked chicken or something last night," I lied.

"Alright, well, feel better." He gave me a chaste kiss on the cheek before exiting. I realized Harry stood outside, leant against the side of his car, per usual. His arms folded against his chest, eyes hard on me.

His eyes followed Mitch as he hastily walked past him, avoiding eye contact. Mitch, for some reason, was intimidated by him. Whenever Harry would pick me up after work, Mitch would stiffen and freeze in his spot. I didn't exactly understand why; Mitch was just as built as Harry was, maybe even a bit more muscly. If they ever went head on, he would be able to protect himself, although I couldn't ever imagine them doing so. I opened the doors, not seeing the cheery and playful demeanor I normally received from Harry, but an angered one. My bottom lip peeked out slightly, my eyebrows screwed together as I mimicked his expression.

"Don't mock me," he scowled.

"What's your issue?" I shuffled towards him, poking his chest.

"He was flirting with you."

I rolled my eyes, scoffing at his assumption. "Trust me, Harry, I've been working with Mitch long enough to know that he wouldn't and didn't hit on me."

"Oh, really?"

"Really."

"So, that kiss on the cheek, that wasn't flirting?"

"No," I shook my head. "There was a bit of a, uh...a problem today, and he just wanted to know if I was okay."

"What problem?"

"Nothing worth mentioning. Look the point is..." My arms draped his neck as I raised myself on my toes to be eye level with him. "I am yours and I love you."

His features relaxed, the enunciation of the words in my last sentence changing his attitude. I pressed a kiss to his lips, pecking them once more before he grinned, opening the car door. I slid in, Harry settling into the driver's seat beside me afterwards. I then felt a gentle hand against my cheek, turning my head only to be met with his lips again. The kiss was lazy, but sensual, each of us smiling into it. His nose brushed mine as he released my lips, causing me to giggle.

"I love you," he spoke softly.

___________________

"Harry?" I called from the bathroom, grabbing a towel to dry my face.

"Hm?"

"Do you ever think about having kids?" I asked hesitantly.

Heavy silence filled the air for a few moments, my heart suddenly quickening in pace as I waited for his answer. I moved to stand in the doorway, leaning my body against the frame. Harry lay sprawled out on the bed, staring at me blankly.

"Wh-Why would you...What kind of question is that?" His tone deemed irritation mixed with confusion, although he was calm.

I shrugged. "I dunno, I mean, you said you saw us together twenty, thirty years down the line, so I thought maybe that meant you'd want a family." My voice sounded smaller than I expected.

"Right now, you're my family, Ella," he grinned.

I forced a smile, becoming disheartened. I traipsed towards the bed, sinking into it as I sighed. I lay on my side, back facing him, an involuntary gap between us.

"Hey," Harry said, his hand resting on my hip. I turned to him, concern evident in his manner. "You alright?"

I nodded. "I'm fine."