Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Winter 1778

*Sophronia's POV*

I stood quietly next to Haytham as he speaks with a guard I don't know, I notice Connor walk towards us, his white hood up almost covering his face. I smile as he walks up but stop when Haytham lifted his hand telling him to stop.

"We need to know what the Loyalists are planning if we're to put an end to this," Haytham states to the guard who shifted slightly as he answered.

"I've tried! But the soldiers themselves are told nothing - only to await orders from above."

"The keep digging. Come find me when you have something have something worth sharing." The guard nods and walks away from Haytham and I. We both walk towards Connor I'm now standing next to him as Haytham slowly pace as he says.

"We're so close to victory. A few more well-placed attacks and we'll be able to put an end to this civil war and be rid of the Crown."

"What do you intend?" Connor asks as Haytham turns to face us again.

"Well, nothing at the moment - since we're completely in the dark." Haytham replies, I feel a land on my head, I look up to see its starting to rain I hate the rain, I have no hood either, Haytham has his hat so that stops his head getting wet and Connor has his hood, this is going to fun for me.

"I thought Templars have eyes and ears everywhere."

"Oh, we did." that's definitely true "Until you started cutting them off."

"Your contact said orders from above. It tells us exactly what we need to do: track down the Loyalists commanders."

Haytham didn't say anything he just walked off, me and Connor following behind, side by side. Connor looks down to me and asks.

"Are you okay?"

I look up to him and smiled as I reply. "Yeah I okay, thanks for asking."

After walking a few more feet, I stop and think, thinking should I tell him what I decided or should I wait until another time.

"Connor," I say, I watch as he stops and turns towards me, I take a breath "I've decided what I'm going to do once my father dies"

I notice a look come upon his face, I could tell he is nervous so I decide to put him out of misery "I'm going leave with you, I-I'm going to leave the Templar life and start a life with you"

A smile comes to his face, he walks over and embraces me not caring if anyone sees us, I lift my head up to only meet with his lips, I know this is the right choice to leave the Templars and leave the opportunity of becoming the Grand Master.

----------------------------------------

Connor and I finally arrive at the officers meeting, we meet up with Haytham who is looking down at the meeting, I hoped Haytham didn't notice us being late and thankfully he didn't.

We all watch quietly, Haytham kneels down as we all listened to their conversation.

"Have you considered the proposal?"

"I am unconvinced. To reinforce them would leave New York exposed. It's hard enough maintaining order with our current numbers. Cut in half..."

"Yet if we do not join with them, they risk defeat. And then what?"

"Well, they should have come by sea..."

I stood behind Haytham so I notice he shake his head as he quietly says "They're talking in circles. We'll learn nothing, watching as we are."

Connor asks "Then what do you purpose we do? March in there and demand answers?"

I knew after Connor has said that it is what we are going to do march down and get answers. And Haytham agreed "Well, yes."

Haytham jumps off the side onto of two red coats before Connor had any chance of stopping him.

"Ambush!" the other red coats aim their bayonets at Haytham and he shouts "Connor! Sophronia! A little help, here?" I look over to Connor who shrugged his shoulders before looking to me, I smirk as I held my hands out allowing him to go first, he smiles and rolls his eyes before jumping down. I grab my axe from my back and I throw it with a lot of strength and it hit a red coat in the head.

I jump down, grabbing my gun from my left side and quickly aiming it and shot a man straight in between the eyes, I place my gun back and ran towards my axe but before I could one of the red coats tried stabbing me with the bayonet but I quickly pulled it from him, hitting him in the head of the stock causing him to fall on his knees, I quickly grab my axe and swung it into his head causing an instant death.

I quickly look behind me to see two men aiming their guns at me as another tries to stab me but I quickly grab the wooden ends of my axe and put it against the red coats neck, pulling him in front of me as they red coats shot at me, I drop the know dead man and threw my axe into one of the Redcoats' head but the other one decides to throw my axe back at me, I quickly caught it and smirked at the worried expression the Redcoats' face but I didn't throw it but allowed Connor to give him a surprise, Connor swung his tomahawk which smacked the Redcoat in the head, causing him to drop to the floor.

I smile at Connor in a way of a thank you as I can't exactly walk up to him and hug him when Haytham is around. I look around looking at the corpse which laid in their own puddle of blood.

As Connor and I walk back towards Haytham to see him tying the three men up, we both stood behind and watch as he spoke to us.

"We'll bring them to my quarters at Fort George and see what secrets they might share."

Suddenly the Redcoat at the left end got out of the rope and ran, Haytham walks forward slightly "Really" as we all watch the Redcoat run, Haytham turns back towards me and Connor but really speaking to Connor.

"Well, you'd best get after him, then" but Connor didn't cooperate "You go, I will watch the prisoners"

"No, you do it." I could tell Connor was frustrated as he basically needs to do everything but I know why Haytham didn't want to go.

"Why me" and this caused Haytham to snap

"Because I said so! Now go!" Connor did go but gave Haytham a look before running after the Redcoat, Haytham turns to me "You wait out here" before walking off with the two Redcoats' I huff as I jump onto the broken wall as I wait for Connor to return.