XVIII: Hidden

[Chapter 18: Hidden] ~(Y/n)'s POV~

***

     (Y/n) laid in his embrace for many moments, her hands curled tightly into fists. Her eyes stayed closed, her ear pressed against his chest, listening to his rhythmic heartbeat. Her tattered chest rose and fell with every shaky large breath she took.  She felt so pathetic at the moment, cursing herself for accepting such a gentle hug in the first place. 

     (Y/n) had never been accustomed to receiving, or even giving away affection as naturally as other people could. At eight years old she had been immersed into that government program, pocked and prodded by men and women in white, the fear in their eyes evident whenever she came too close. She never remembered the touch of her mother and father, and never did anyone in that facility dare show some kind of love towards her as a child. As she grew up, she accepted that. (Y/n) accepted that she just wasn't that type of person to show love or give any away. But now, as he rubbed soothing circles into the small of her back, his chin resting atop of her head, his breathing ruffling her hair, she hoped that she could learn. 

     Leonardo suddenly shifted, and (Y/n) almost cried out that he wouldn't leave her. It felt so nice to be held, to feel that she was safe engulfed in his arms. Soon though, she fell asleep. Quickly, seeing that she almost fell unconscious as he drummed his fingers alongside her spin, her tattered black jumpsuit barely keeping it together at the seams. The blue masked mutant moved the surprisingly light weight teenager into his arms, shifting her into a bridal style position. Her arms never left their tight position around his neck, her wrists almost locked together. Her breath grazed his neck as her head gently lolled against his shoulder, her hair pooling over his arm. Leonardo slowly stood up, a small groan escaping his lips as he squeezed his eyes shut.

    "Dude-" Mikey started as all three of them almost leapt forward to reach towards their injured brother. Leo shook his head sharply, his eyes blinking open slowly as his jaw tightened.

    "I'm fine," He breathed, shifting (Y/n)'s weight in his arms as she continued to sleep heavily.

    "You should be in bed," Donnie responded sharply, his eyes stirring with an emotion likened to a brewing storm. He hugged himself tightly as he eyed the girl in his arms, his eyes falling on the spot of the wall where she had been only moments before. He could see the fresh blood staining the concrete. She was still bleeding, quite heavily too. Donatello looked up to meet his brothers eyes, a small, sad smile staining his lips. "Doctor's orders."

   "'I'm a scientist,'" Leonardo quoted, attempting to make a few steps by his brothers and out of the makeshift cage. 

    "'Not a Doctor,'" Raphael finished the Space Heroes quote with a mumble, the hateful gaze that had been burning in his eyes dulling to a small glow. He shifted uncomfortably as his older brother gave him a small, tired smile in acknowledgment. 

    Leonardo looked over his shoulder at the pair of almost identical blue eyes that stared at him broodingly. "'You coming, Night?" He inquired, trying to ignore the shaking in his knees. (Y/n) wasn't that heavy, seeing that she hadn't eaten in days and that the facility she had been trapped inside hadn't taken good care of her. It was the exhaustion, the stress that made its mark at the frown lines around his mouth. God, when had it been the last time he had smiled?

   The wolf simply nodded, getting up from his sitting position to follow the mutant towards his own bedroom. Nightmare shot Raphael a warning glance, as if he knew just how much this hot headed mutant despised the girl. He wished that these mutants only knew how much trauma she was under daily. (Y/n) was a caring protective person, she was just terrible at showing it. And who could blame her? She had been raised in a military facility and had been constantly tormented by Waru. 

     Leonardo maneuvered himself through the sewer tunnels, almost collapsing from the sight of the lights that illuminated from the lair. Exhaustion burned his aching legs, but his courage to get (Y/n) to a safe warm environment pushed him onward. He stepped over the turnstile, Nightmare ducking under as his black fur pressed against the metal. Leo moved down the steps, and towards his room, finally kicking open the door in his need to just unceremoniously dump (Y/n) on the bed so he could pass out, pushing his heel against the corner of the door, shutting it. Nightmare laid down in front of the door, stretching his large lumbering body, as he rested his head atop of his paws, shutting his eyes in anxiety and exhaustion.

The leader moved to his side of his neatly made bed, pulling the sheets off with a sweep of his arm. Slowly, but surely, he laid (Y/n) atop of his head, making sure that her head pressed against one of his two pillows. He pulled his arms from under her, pushing her hair from her peaceful face. She seemed to always be happiest when she was sleeping. He pulled the bed sheets over her, tucking them around her body. 

    His fingers hovered around the burnt skin on the side of her face. It wasn't as deep or damaging, but it would scar, reminding (Y/n) of the torture she had endured under The Shredder. He felt hatred and pity stir up inside of him. Why was it that Oroku Saki seemed to find joy damaging and destroying the few people he loved. He had already finished off Master Splinter only a few years ago- why couldn't this monster die as well?

   "Good night, (Y/n)," Leonardo mumbled, his eyes already slitting in exhaustion as his body demanded the rest it so sorely required for healing. He didn't bother fighting against it anymore. He almost stumbled towards the chair that was neatly tucked underneath his desk, pulling it out to collapse atop of it.

    Leonardo fell asleep in only seconds.

***

    Waru churned in the shadows quietly, licking her cracked lips. Blood dusted her lips, as if it was a form of lipstick that she proudly wore. Now was the time for her to emerge. Ever since that torture, she had escaped. Waru did not want to bear the pain that her vessel would endure, and she was annoyed that such a pathetic metal man had dared damage her host. When Waru finally took over, he would be the first to go. The world only needed one sociopathic leader, thank you very much. 

    She moved slowly towards Leonardo, taking long strides, leaving behind black footprints that dissolved away after a few moments. Waru paused in front of the mutant, taking in his pathetic injured form. She softly tsked to herself, eyeing the mutant and then her sleeping vessel on the bed. Both were disgusting pitiful tampered with creatures- they were honestly perfect for one another.

     Waru tapped her pitch black fingers along his injured chest, alongside the top of his plastron, before her nails began to caress his scarred green cheek. Waru smirked, tilting her head with a sigh. "You'll be perfect," She murmured softly, her black eyes slitting.

    Leonardo groaned in his sleep, his head lolling onto his left shoulder. Waru placed her shadowy hands on each of his green cheeks, her hands glowing softly in the darkness. The mutant shuddered once, his shoulders stiffening at the uncomfortable position he was in. 

      After a few moments, her hands ceased as she pulled them back, her face emotionless. His breathing evened out as he slumped in his chair, the bandages wrapped around his chest slowly tinging with a crimson red. Waru couldn't help but caress his face gently, feeling the small 'surprise' that she herself had planted inside of his mind. Now was not the time for her final showdown, where she would finally break apart (Y/n), including the oh so careful barriers she had put up against the never ending clawing of Waru.

     Leonardo had been a pleasant surprise, a pawn in this little game that this personality played with her host. She was going to use him against (Y/n). 

    What he felt for her was not love at the moment, it was the sort of caring affection that he held for victims he saved from the clutches of monsters. Pity. But, Waru knew that with time and patience, the small bond they held for one another, forged through torture, blood, and tears, was going to go stronger. Maybe in the end, they wouldn't love one another. Maybe they would be stuck as two good friends. In either scenario, there was going to be some kind of unbreakable pledge between the two, one that would affect (Y/n) deeply. To the point that if Waru even tampered with it, (Y/n) would completely fall apart.

    And when that happen, Waru was going to be ready to take over. (Y/n) and Waru were going to become one.