Chapter Twelve: Couldn't Stop It

~~~Gwen~~~

We were all heading out to the car when the machine, which was now both pieces pressed together, started flipping out.

"Jack! Jack I need to speak to you." I said. I was suddenly transfixed by the device

"GWEN NO!" Jack yelled. But it was already too late.

"Hello?" I looked forward to see Diane, her hands covered with blood, holding a knife.

"Help me, please. I was too late, I couldn't stop it."

"Stop what?" I asked.

"He's dead. Owen had the knife. He wanted to kill him."

"Diane?"

"Oh gosh, I couldn't stop it!" She sobbed. "Help me!" I was back in real time and Jack snatched the machine from my hands.

"Gosh, Gwen, what were you thinking?!" Jack asked. I glared at Owen.

~~~Jack~~~

"I didn't see him. I didn't see anyone but her. I just said his name."

"Owen." Jack repeated. He was still in denial. "Bernie said he saw himself dead in that street. You saw Owen with the knife."

"But she  was holding it. Her hands were covered in blood."

"That was one future, one of many possible futures. Whatever you saw, what Bernie saw, might not happen."

"Might not? Can't we find out? You've got all this stuff. Alien stuff, isn't there anything that can help?" The Doctor, if he was here. He probably wouldn't though.

"I'm sorry." I told her.

"I wish we'd never found it. Poor Bernie seeing himself dead."

"Eh, he might not be."

"Hm, possible futures. He might like to know that."

"You're certainly finding it a comfort."

"Where is Diane anyways?"

"Not sure. I should probably go check up on her." I made my way up the stairs to find her, sitting on the floor in the balcony. "Hey..."

"I saw Ed Morgan." She said.

"What?"

"Like an idiot...I went to see him."

"What did you do?"

"I was just trying to scare him, and then he...he told me that I would get nothing from him and he told me before. I think that Bernie was black-mailing him. I think he thought that I was a part of Bernie's outfit."

"What were you thinking?! How could you do something so incredibly stupid?!" I yelled. "I think Gwen is on her way there right now!" I ran downstairs, grabbing my phone.

"Jack."

"Ed Morgan. Diane went freelance earlier and decided to pay him a visit.  Wanted to frighten him, sounds like she succeeded. I think our friend Bernie Harris got there first. Tried to blackmail him. "

"Bernie was blackmailing him?"

"Looks that way. Ed thought Diane was part of the same outfit. Are you home yet?"

"No, I'm at Bernie's place."

"We're heading over, stay right there. Owen, with me. Tosh, keep an eye on CCTV in case Bernie makes a run for it."

"What about me?" Diane asked.

"Stay out of the way and try not to screw anything else up."  It may have been harsh, but what she did was dumb.

~~~Diane~~~

I wasn't going to take that for an answer. Ed Morgan's going to Bernie's place and he's gonna try to kill him. I grabbed my coat and headed for the door.

"Diane? Where are you going? Diane?! Diane!"

~~~

I walked up to see Ed standing in front of Gwen and Bernie with a knife.

"Back up, Ed." I warned, my hand on the gun I'd taken with me.

"I used to see it in people's faces when they looked at me. They knew! I tried to hide, but they knew. I haven't been  outside for so long."

"Put the knife down!"

"Little whore!" he turned to me. "You're all the same, you'll blame me, make me the bad one!"

"Put it down!" I warned again. He started towards Bernie and Gwen, but I stood between them.

"I've wasted my life for you."

"We won't tell anyone! No one else is gonna know." Bernie begged.

"Stay calm." Gwen muttered.

"I won't breathe a word. You'll never see me again, I promise."

"I know. That's why I came. It's what you want, isn't it?" He reared forward, slightly stabbing me before Jack and Own wrestled him off.

"I've got the knife." Owen said. "I've got the knife...I've got the knife, Edwin. You were so close. You stabbed her...just like with Lizzie. I've got the knife, Edwin. You were so close. As close as I am now."

"Owen stop!" I yelled, holding my side.

"Why should you get away with it?"

"OWEN!" Jack yelled. I stood up, grabbing the knife from Owen's hand. "GO AND DEAL WITH BERNIE!" He snapped.

"No one died. You stopped it. You got here in time." Gwen said. I held the knife out, going to hand it to Jack.

"I knew you would come for me!" Ed escaped his grasp, running into the knife.  Jack pulled him off of it and I let it fall from my hands.

"He's arresting!" Owen started performing CPR and Jack was by my side.

"I...I couldn't stop it. I just wanted to help and I couldn't do anything." I whispered.

~~~

I winced as Jack bandaged up my side.

"I really screwed up, didn't I?" I asked. He nodded.

"Yeah, you really did. What were you thinking?"

"I thought....I thought that if I could do...something...I...I don't know." I buried my face in my hands, as sobs broke out. It seemed that I was more sad than no these days. "I didn't mean to kill him."

"You didn't." Jack assured me, taking my hands away from my face. "He killed himself."

"It was my fault though." I told him. "It was all my fault. You told me to stay here and not try to screw anything up, and I didn't listen."

"Diane...about that, I'm sorry-"

"Don't apologize. You were right. Why am I even here?"

"What?" He grabbed my arms, forcing me to look at him.

"What's the point?! What...importance do I possibly have to this team? I'm supposed to be a leader, and I got someone killed.  I just...I don't want to be here anymore."

"So what, you're leaving?" He asked.

"Maybe I should...just for a bit. Clear my head."

"When'll you be back?" I shrugged.

"Don't know. But I just know that I can't stay here anymore. At least, not for now."