Chapter Eighteen:Fairies

~~~Jack~~~

Diane stormed out and I sighed, going outside to talk to Estelle.

"What happened with Diane? She left in such a hurry." I shook my head.

"Nothing. Estelle, next time you see these creatures, let us know, ok? Night or day, it doesn't matter, just call us. And, be careful, it's important to me."

"But jack, I've nothing to worry about." She said.

"Just be careful. Please." I hugged her, kissing the top of her head, and she whispered:

"Do repair things with Diane. I've never seen a love so pure." I nodded.

"I'm trying."  She looked up at me.

"Try harder. Don't ever give up. She's worth it." I nodded.

"Yeah...I know."

~~~

Gwen and I walked outside.

"Estelle shouldn't be living in town. She belongs in the countryside." I said.

"How often do you get to see her?"

"We meet up now and again."

"Whenever she's seen her fairies?" Gwen questioned.

"She calls them fairies, I don't."

"What do you call them? They've never really had a proper name."

"Why not?"

"Something from the dawn of time, how could you possibly put a name to that? Actually, I think I'll call them Diane." I said.

"Why's that?"

"They look harmless enough...but tick them off...oh, you've got Hell to pay."

"Are we talking alien?"

"Worse. They're part of us, part of our world, yet we know nothing about them. So we pretend to know what they look like. We see them as happy. We imagine they have tiny little wings and are bathed in moonlight."

"But they're not?"

"No. Think dangerous, think something you can only half see, like a glimpse, like something out of the corner of your eye with a touch myth, a touch of the spirit world, a touch of reality, all jumbled together. Old moments and memories that are frozen in amongst it like debris spinning around a ringed planet, tossing, turning, whirling. Then backwards and forwards through time. If that's them we have to find them...before all Hell breaks loose."

"Hasn't it already?"

"I'm not talking about Diane and I." I told her.

~~~Diane~~~

We sat down in the conference room with Owen, Tosh, Gwen, Ianto, and Jack.

"This is the oldest girl, and this is the girl's cousin." Tosh explained, showing us a picture.

"I blame it on magic mushrooms." Ianto said.

"What you do in private is none of our business." I smiled, then looked at Jack, who was watching me, and my smile fell.

"These photographs were fake." Gwen said. Owen reasoned:

"Conan Doyle believed in them."

"He was Gaga at the time." Tosh argued.

"and Houdini?"

"Self-publicist."

"How do you know so much about this?" I asked.