XLV

*Frank's P.O.V*

Christmas break comes and goes faster than Gerard and I can kiss under the mistletoe. Actually, that's a really bad example since we like to...

take our time, so to speak. Unless I don't really want to that day, and then Gerard just takes over and- ugh, just never mind.

The christmas break mostly consists  of me staying over at Gerard's house. We're basically joined at the hip after the party. We eat together, shower together, sleep next to each other, I swear, I didn't do anything without sitting on his lap or having his arms around my waist. For the whole two weeks, we were inseparable. 

Christmas morning was the only day I went home. I had promised Gerard that I would come over with my mum for Christmas dinner there. 

Christmas morning was the usual routine. We ate snowmen shaped pancakes (I honestly don't know how my mum does it) and we played disturbingly cheery Christmas specials on television. Y'know the old, weird clay ones that make you wanna gauge your eyes and ears out by the end? Of those kind.

We open presents from under the tree, which is pretty much only a couple considering it was my mum and me, and eat gingerbread cookies despite the early morning. This Christmas, I saved up and got my mum a Kindle. She deserves so much more than what we have and she really, really loves her books so it was the perfect fit. She was nearly in tears when she opened it.

She had gotten me five or six records that I had been begging for all year. It was something that I always wanted but was on the back of my mind. I fucking flipped when I saw the shiny covers. 

When we go over to Gerard's house, Mum brings over some ham and meets Donna, realizing they were soul mates and gossiping about each others son's with giggles. I go straight to Gerard's room, greeting him with a kiss. We give our presents right away. 

Both of our presents for each other were makeshift and cheap, but we both loved it. I think the mutual handjobs made up for it in the end.

I even got Mikey and Ray a little something. It was mostly the giggles and the awing that was rewarding rather than the presents themselves.

Christmas dinner went smoothly, everyone filling up to the bursting point. Me, being a vegetarian, filled up on sides chuckled when Gerard tired to persuade me to eat meat, saying how his mother's dish was the best in the country. This earned a blush from Gerard's mother, a quiet snigger from his father and light laughter from around the dinner table.

The conversation was airy and comfortable, talking about school and Linda's job and life, as well as my own. It circulated around the table, even after dinner was done. They were all entertained and friendly.

Even Elena, Gerard's nonna, stopped by to greet everyone. She met my mother, instantly becoming fond of her and insisting they most speak again. She had leave a little while later because of the many Christmas parties she must attend. Elena left, grinning and eye-twinkling as she waggled her fingers.

Now I understand where Gerard gets his flamboyancy from.

Billie Joe Armstrong showed up as well, saying a brief Merry Christmas to Mikey, claiming he was in the area and he wanted to see the sixteen year old. Gerard wasn't exactly thrilled by Billie's presence, seeing as it was Christmas and he was still enjoying the  high of the season. I'm pretty sure someone spiked his eggnog.

We concluded the night by wishing everyone one last Merry Christmas before Gerard and I headed downstairs for some alone time.

It didn't exactly go the way Gerard planned when I cuddled with him and put on a movie. 

Later next week, New Year's Eve had sprung it's self on me and I was completely unaware. I was still trying to catch up on reality since Christmas, since hanging out with Gerard 24/7 has fucked up my schedule. It didn't seem real that I was spending my New Years with Gerard, since the pervious year, I spent it baking cooks alone because my mum had an important business 'meeting' (party) that see needed to attend. I knew she never really went out so I let her go. It didn't bother me, I was usually alone.

Gerard and I spent the night reading all the songs he wrote.

Okay, it was complete accident that I found them. I was just looking for a fucking ruler and the book said 'songs' on it. I took it out and showed it Gerard, a bit curiously and a huge fucking smirk on my face.

At first Gerard got all flustered and scratchy because "Manly men don't write lovey-dovey songs!". I questioned him he knew they were lovey-dovey an reassured him that it was totally sweet that he wrote songs, so then he let his guard down and read them together.

Hang 'em high, Death Before Disco, Demolition lovers, I was amazed by each one he read. They had raw passion, riddles and fancy words I never would have thought could be used in a song. The lyrics was just like poetry, silky and smooth but with such a deeper meaning. 

Gerard sang me a few, letting me picture how it would sound with some back up instruments. I was excited by these songs, I was excited for Gerard. 

We busied ourselves, ignoring the loud booms of the fireworks out side and barely hearing the loud

HAPPY NEW YEARS. We kissed at midnight, smiling to each other, the giggling reassuring that this year was going to be better than the last.

.+*+.+*+.+*+.+*+.+*+.+*+.+*+.

Where the fuck was Gerard and Mikey? It has been three days since school started up again and I haven't either of them. I tried calling them, texting them. I couldn't get ahold of them.

I was walking out Belleville High, on my way to Gerard and Mikey's house to find out what the fuck is going on, when someone grabs my arm forcefully and pulls me to the side of the school. 

I hit the wall lightly and whimper when the force is released from my arm. I stare up at Billie Joe Armstrong as he frantically looks for words. The older boy licks his lips and stares back.

"Frank."

"How do you even remember my name?" I question, eyebrows furrowing because I've never even spoke to the guy.

"You're one of Mikey Way's friends." I nod as his voice fills with concern. "Where is he?"

"I don't know, I-"

"Can you please, please, please find out out for me? Please?" I'm about to say no because Gerard hated Billie and I didn't know him well but the panic in his voice and worry on his face made me change my mind.

"Uh, sure, yeah." I agree and Billie smiles widely and thanks me, running off to his other friends. I stand there for a little while long.

What the fuck is going on?

.+*+.+*+.+*+.+*+.+*+.+*+.

I knock on the Way's door and wait for someone to open. When someone does, it's Mikey.

Something is off about Mikey. He has a frown in his face, his eyes are glassy and his nose is a bit pink. He looks all in all miserable. 

I reach out and give Mikey a hug, because it looked like he needed it. I pat his back and pull away. He chuckles, still not looking happy but a bit cheered up.

"What's wrong?" I ask, frowning because Mikey way frowning. 

His face fills with sorrow as he shakes his head. "You should probably go talk to Gerard." His voice is croaky and worn out, cracking as he speaks.

I give him a confused look and walked passed him, making my way down the stairs. Gerard's door is shut but I can hear something through it. Whimpers and hushed sobs. I frowned and opened the door.

Inside Gerard's room, the noises are a bit easier the hear. I can't see Gerard but I can see a lump in his bedsheets so I walk towards that.

Curled up in the bedsheets, I see a sobbing Gerard. I freeze for a moment. Gerard Way was crying. For the four months they were dating, I haven't even seen Gerard relatively near tears. Of course, he has seen me crying but I've never seen him.

This worried me. The reason must be awful if Gerard Way was crying.

I pull off my shoes and climb into the spot on the bed next to him. He tenses but calms a bit when I wrap my arms around him from behind. He turns around to face me.

Tears are still running down his face when he looks at me. His eyes are puffier than Mikey's, as well as his nose pinker. Wet streaks covered his face as his red-rimmed eyes recognize my face. He faces twists as he says my name, crying into my neck.

I rub his back. "Shh, Gerard. It'll be okay." I coo. "What's wrong, baby?" 

Gerard freezes up again, sobbing. I can feel the tears wipe against my neck, running down my clavicle. Gerard's lips move, but no sound comes out. He says it again, his voice hoarse. 

"Nonna's gone."

I stare blankly at the crying boy. "Elena is... Dead?" I ask dumbly, causing Gerard to cry hard, nodding into my collarbone. I frown and gulp loudly. She was an amazing lady, and meant everything to Gerard. I understand why Gerard was so broken up.

"It'll be okay, Gee." I say into his hair. "Let it all out."

Gerard inhales sharply, trying to catch his breath. He continues to sob as his sits up. 

"How am I just supposed to let it all out? How will it all be okay?" Gerard whimpers, choking on his own words. "It's not fair! She can't be dead! I still need her!" 

I don't know what to say. Elena was a lot, and I can't do anything to bring her back. All I can do is listen.

"I just saw her a few days ago! Everything was fine. I just want her back, I love her so much." Gerard's coughing and choking on the heavy heaves of sobs. 

"Gerard, please calm down-"

"I can't!" Gerard exclaims. "I miss her and I can't do anything to bring her back. I need her, It's not fair! If she's dead, then so should I!" He's at the point where he is hyperventilating between words and he looks so helpless. I feel helpless. I can't do anything to stop the pain and sorrow. I needed to calm him down.

I pull him against my chest and nestle his head in my hands. I hold him close as he lets out the last of his sobs. 

"It'll be okay, Gerard." I reassure poorly. "I got you."