45. Ashley was right

"Don't go, please

"Don't go, please."

Zarine stared at him, suddenly very aware of every breath she was taking. He's asking me to stay. Breathe in. He's asking me to stay. Breath out. Her eyes finally dropped and drifted away, her jaw set sadly, "Cristiano..."

He got up and walked towards her side of the table, "No, I really mean it. Don't go. We-we have something amazing here. I love you so much and-"

She got up, the chair scraping back loudly and heaved a sigh, "I love you too, Cris. You know I do. Always have. Always will. But..."

He frowned slightly and Zarine could see disappointment, hurt, dismay and a million other heart-wrenching emotions pass through his otherwise warm brown eyes. The truth was he didn't let people get close to him very often. He was naturally friendly and a great company but he himself admitted he was truly close to only a few people and those he was close to, he cherished them. It had been tough leaving his family behind at a young age. He had cried those nights then, away from everyone who was familiar, everyone he cared about. Over the years, he had learnt that it was the way of his life. Travel, change, newness were a circumstance to him.

He hadn't realised but the short time he'd spent with Zarine had given him the fixity, the sense of security and an actual bond of happiness and completeness he had never had ever before. It was disastrous for him to even imagine living without her. It was as if he had been a a jagged jigsaw piece all his life and she was the only one who fit along his edges, together they were a complete picture. This wonderful girl, with her warmest smiles, bright eyes, dark unkempt hair, funny thoughts, wholesome conversations and passionate kisses...she was the one he wanted to spend his whole life with. He reached for her hand but for once, she didn't respond. She walked away, deep in thought.

"But what?" He finally asked, his voice soft, sad. She doesn't want to stay. She doesn't want to stay. Oh God, she's leaving. His mind was already racing over the millions of miles that we're opening up between them. No, please.

She sighed, "It's just...I can't-It's so difficult to explain...I finally have a job. I have worked so hard for so long and it's finally paying off."