48. If all else fails, use your face.

Cristiano straightened his sore neck and walked down the plane's aisle, flashed a small smile at the Air India air hosts

Cristiano straightened his sore neck and walked down the plane's aisle, flashed a small smile at the Air India air hosts. Once he was on the tarmac, he finally let go of the breath he was holding. He hadn't told anyone, not even a single soul. Just got up, missing Zarine too fucking much to just go out and pretend that it was okay, drove to the airport and got on a plane.

The minute the plan took off, he wanted to jump off and go back to his house. A million questions rang through his brain. What if he couldn't find her house? What if she refused to see him? What if she told him she hated him? What if she never forgave him? What ifs, what ifs.

But then he calmed down. He wasn't going there to ask her to be his girlfriend, he knew he'd lost that entitlement because of his stupidity, jealousy and okay, he had been kind of possessive. All he wanted was to see her one last time, apologise for his behaviour, let her know that he'd committed a mistake and he knew it. His feelings for her would never change but he wanted to tell her that he knew now that his articulation of those feelings had been terribly skewed that day. Hell, he'd known it the minute she'd left his house but he'd let the moment override his brain. Not understood the extent of his words until it had been too late.

The past weeks he'd wished he could turn back time, take back those words, time and again. Of course, there was a part of him that hurt and wondered if he had ever meant anything more than a fling to Zarine because he'd been truthful in his love. He had wanted a life with her, he still wanted one. Sometimes, he felt his heart would just break from the hopelessness of his love.

He got on a taxi and tried to keep his cap low so as to avoid attention. As the trees and buildings whizzed past his windows, he thought, I should have come sooner. I should have come that very day. But the sad thing about people, yes, even famous footballers, is that sometimes they think too much and let fear and apprehension get the better of them. Even they think that they're not good enough and that people don't actually really like them. It's human nature. To muster up the courage to let go of these fears, to own up to your wrong, to apologise is no small thing but Cristiano was going to try. Better late than never.

The taxi stopped to halt and now he could see Zarine's house. His hand shook slightly as he handed the fare and got down, a slingbag over his shoulder. Halfway down the drive, he felt that he was doing a big mistake again. She's obviously moved on. Why open old wounds?