The Second Date

It was five hours in, and Scott's eyes were having a hard time staying open. It wasn't that he was tired, just, nothing exciting ever happened on the Office shift, and he wasn't going to argue with a little beauty sleep.

"Hey, Scott."

Scott snapped out of his sleepy stupor, sitting up straight, "Yeah, Boss?"

"I need you to help me clean up. There's been another kid breaking the rule. You know the one. I have to tell the kitchen about this. They must put laxatives in the pizza or something."

Scott made a face, "Really? Are you sure I have to do it?"

"You've got nothing better to do," Boss walked into the Office, crossing his arms across his chest, "Don't think just because I'm buddied up with your Dad it means that you get special treatment."

Special treatment, huh? Scott sighed, "Fine, okay... Let me just..." He prepared to heave himself out of the chair. Suddenly groaning, he clutched at his chest, "Ah! Owwww... What the hell... Foxy's hook really got me... You know, we shouldn't even have a rusty, broken machine at this establishment... I'm certain that's breaking some health and safety rules..."

Boss' bushy eyebrows raised to his hairline, showing his wide eyes. He had the strangest eyes, being a mixed race. It was pretty unnatural for a moderately dark-skinned guy like Boss to have bright blue eyes, "Uh, you know what? I'm sure Fritz can handle it..."

"Oh, are you sure, Uncle Will?" Scott asked sweetly.

"That's Boss to you. While you're at work, at least. And don't worry about it. You just sit there and... make sure that cut doesn't get infected or something," Boss eyed him carefully, "Last thing I need is to be filling out insurance forms at the hospital."

"Oh, yeah. I wouldn..." Scott trailed off, something catching his eye in the camera, a flash of purple.

Boss looked at him, "Wouldn't what?"

"Oh, nothing. Sorry," Scott looked back at Boss, "I was just saying, I wou-" He trailed off again, seeing Vincent standing in front of the camera, making a heart sign with his hands.

Boss frowned and walked over beside Scott, trying to see what he was looking at. Scott quickly flipped the camera over, hiding the display in his shirt.

"What're you looking at, Scott?" Boss asked suspiciously.

"Me? Looking at something?" Scott laughed nervously, "I'm not looking at nothing. I mean- something. Or anything. I'm not looking at... not anything?"

Boss sighed, "You're a lot of things, Scott, but a good liar is not one of them. Show me the camera."

Scott paused for a second. Then, mentally praying for Vincent to be gone, he flipped the camera over.

Vincent was not gone. Instead, he was holding a scribbled message on an old pizza box, 'Scott, will you go on another date with me tonight?'

Scott laughed nervously, blushing bright red with embarrassment as Boss took the tablet from him and looked at the image. His eyes widened a little. There was a tense silence for quite a while, then he passed the tablet back to Scott, "Uh, I'll... leave that up to you..."

Clearing his throat awkwardly, Boss made an excuse and walked back out of the Office.

Scott watched him go, glad he hadn't made a big deal of it. Then he looked back down at the camera, where Vincent blew a kiss at him.

Smiling in a lovesick way, Scott pretended to catch it.

He sighed, leaning back in his chair, his heart fluttering uncontrollably in his chest. Movement caught his eye, and he looked back down at the tablet to see Mike shoving Vincent out of the camera.