Not What He Was Expecting.

Scott wasn't sure what he expected would happen. For him to fall into Vincent's arms? For him to break down into tears? For him to start to spit out apologies?

A cold kind of indifference wasn't what he was expecting.

Vincent turned around to look at him. He held up his hand, and Scott realised he was holding a brown book. "You left this at work. Boss asked me to return it to you."

"Oh," Scott stepped forward on the pebbly driveway, walking forward to pause just in front of his co-worker. Being close made him want to barrel into him and hug him harder than he ever had before. Yet something - he wasn't sure what - was stopping him. He reached out for the book.

"I hope you don't mind," Vincent didn't give him the sketchbook. Instead, he opened it to about halfway through. "I had a look through it."

Scott hummed, "That doesn't surprise me. You looked through my old one on our first date as well, remember? At the drive-in."

Vincent's lips twitched into a smile briefly, before he turned the book around so it was facing Scott, his thumb in the spine to stop it from closing.

Scott looked down at the page it was open to, and he recognised the writing. It was something he'd scribbled down after lunch with his Dad, while he was waiting for Oliver to arrive. The same page he'd gotten angry at and tried to tear, only managing to rip off the corner in the process.

"You didn't cheat on me, did you, Scott?" Vincent asked quietly.

Scott looked up at him in surprise, and shook his head. "No. Of course not. I would never."

Vincent smiled, "You're a man of your word, after all."

Scott smiled lopsidedly back at him, a kind of tender warmth spreading through his body. No words had to be spoken: he knew Vincent felt the same.

"The last two words are 'already have'," Scott said at last.

"I'm sorry?" Vincent asked, tilting his head slightly.

Scott looked back down at the sketch book, tapping the page with his finger, he began to read out, "I think Dad's afraid of the same thing I am. That I'm going to fall too hard in love with him. There's just one problem with that..." Scott trailed off, looking back up at Vincent, grinning shyly. "I..."

"...Already have..." Vincent gazed down at Scott, grinning. "You mean to say you still love me, after everything?"

Scott chuckled. Taking the book from Vincent and closing it, he stepped closer into him. He could feel his warmth from where he was standing, smell his familiar scent.

Lips pressed against lips, and Scott closed his eyes, his arms winding around Vincent as he became immersed in the gentle kiss. Despite the freezing air, Scott was warm all over. As long as he and Vincent were together, he felt as though he'd never feel cold again.

They broke away, and Scott instantly fell into Vincent's body, hugging him tightly.

Vincent hugged him back, pulling him into his body. "I'm sorry that I blamed you. I should have stopped to think about how you must have been feeling."

"It's okay," Scott mumbled, his voice muffled. "Vincent?"

"Yeah, hon?" Vincent's voice was soft and warm.

"Does this mean we're boyfriends again?"

Vincent chuckled, "That depends. Do you want to be boyfriends again?"

Scott smiled into Vincent's shoulder, "Yes please."

"Well then," Vincent nuzzled into Scott's neck. "I guess that means we are."

Scott grinned, a mischievous look forming in his eye. "I'm glad," he said, as his hands inconspicuously began to move on Vincent's back.

"So am-" Vincent cut himself off, shoving Scott away suddenly, "Scott!" he hissed. "For goodness' sakes! Do you have icicles for fingers or what?!"

Scott didn't reply. He was too busy laughing.