Chapter 5

"What are you doing here?" Taylor's voice bellowed out from the living room.

"What am I doing here? I live here! What are you doing here?" Matthew's familiar washed over me as a warm wave of relief. I walked out into the living room and saw both guys eyes locked on each other across the coffee table.

"I guess you felt better after all," Matthew said sourly.

"Eh, yeah...," was all I could say. 

My mind was frantically thinking of a good reason for Taylor to be here, a reason that didn't have any explanation that sounded like something out of a fantasy novel. I stared at him for a second, suddenly realising that he was in last night's clothes.

"So what did you do last night?" I waggled my eyebrows at him, happy to find a good distraction. 

I studied Matthew as small spots of pink bloomed up on his neck. I couldn't hold back the grin from my face, I loved teasing him.

"I... I may have had some company last night. So I stayed away so to speak," he pushed out.

I felt my grin widen, when I spotted a flicker of recognition in his eyes.

"Looks like I wasn't the only one who had company," Matthew added with a wide grin across his face.

"Great powers of deduction," Taylor answered coolly.

Matthew's face fell and I could tell that he was just about to snap back.

So I turned quickly to Taylor, "Weren't you saying you know a good place for brunch?"

I saw a flicker of recognition in his eyes, "Yes, why don't you grab what you need from your room and we'll head out."

"Sure," I agreed and shot Matthew a look that asked him to please behave.

Pushing the door closed behind me, I didn't know where we would go but we couldn't stay here if Matthew was going to hang around. I looked down and realised I was still in yesterday's clothes. There was hardly time for a shower, so I threw off the top I had been sleeping in and did a quick round of deodorant and some body spray. My eyes were searching for something that looked remotely clean. I damned myself for not keeping on top of my laundry but now was not the time. Throwing on a black tank top and thin cotton jumper, swapping out last night's jeans for some grey leggings before jumping back into my converse and grabbing my leather jacket and handbag. I pushed the door open and looked out, the living room was deserted. My heart skipped a beat as I worried who might have entered the flat. But I quickly reminded myself I hadn't heard any commotion. I walked into the kitchen and saw the boys locked into a staring competition. Matthew had put the kettle on, but I knew it was more to make himself a cup of coffee than him trying to be a good host.

"Shall we?" I asked, meeting Taylor's dark brown eyes.

"Sure," he agreed quickly and left the kitchen without even as much as a nod goodbye to Matthew.

We walked down my street, the glaring cold light of the morning made me antsy. I felt like men would pop out of any corner and try to attack me. I craned my neck and looked down a small alleyway.

"Would you relax?" Taylor's voice held a note of frustration in it.

"What if they come for me?" my voice raised with my anxiety as we left the relative security of my flat.

"You would feel them," he answered.

"How would you know that?" I shot back but deep within me a memory from last night shook loose. 

He was right, I had felt the waves of energy before the grey haired man had appeared. I closed my eyes for a second, I could only feel a faint wave of energy and it was brewing right next to me. I looked over at him, walking next to me. I guess I must have gotten used to Taylor's energy by now. As soon as that realisation hit me, I felt my feet stop dead in my tracks.