Chapter 20

After hours of rolling around my bed, I finally pushed myself to get up. I pulled the dressing gown around me and tried to pretend that it was morning rather than midday. I stared down at my phone again. Nothing.

The coffee steamed from the cup finding its way to my nose. I pushed my knees up to my chest and put the mug to my lips, blowing at the liquid hoping for it to cool down as I scrolled through my emails. Why wasn't he texting me back? I had tried to reach him a few times already, something about him not checking in with me for over a day made me uneasy. I focused on my emails, trying to push those thoughts away. I would have thought that he would have tried to reach out to me by now. Stop Cara. I shook my head as if to try to make those thoughts go away. Stop being so clingy Cara.

I walked down the street, pulling my jacket closer around me. I putting the phone to my ear again, letting the tones ring out as I waited for Taylor to pick up. My feet steered me towards the Royal Star. No response. I tried my best to rationalise, assuming he must just be busy. If I couldn't see Taylor, I could at least check in on Tanya. I knew he wasn't working today, so I would have thought he would have checked in on me, given all that had been going on lately.

The wind bristled up again my face as I turned the corner onto Old Street roundabout, the cars circled round and I could feel the fumes mix in with the coldness of the wind. It would be good to catch up with Tanya. After seeing Josh, she would be able to pull me back down and ground me. I knew I needed it. I skipped across the zebra crossing, letting me feet carry me quickly down a side street and towards the Royal Star. For the first time in a long time I felt hopeful, having dealt with Josh felt like the first step of moving forward. For far too long had I allowed things to happen to me, it was time to start taking control again.

I turned the corner, finding my lips creeping up into a smile as I spotted the Royal Star. Things where finally back on track. My feet moved faster as I approached the pub, opting to turn the corner and head straight for the beer garden. I knew Tanya would be trying to lap up the little bit of sun that was out on her lunch break.

My eyes spotted the back of her head, brown hair cascading down her back. My feet froze and I felt my smile shrivel away as I spotted who she was talking to. Taylor. My stomach felt like it had clenched into a fist, as I slid back around the corner, praying they hadn't spotted me. I took a breathe, pushing my back against the cold wall. Why is he hanging out with her and ignoring my calls? Is he sick of me? Doesn't he care about what happens to me anymore? I allowed myself to wallow for a second, turning around and slowly walking away.

I turned the corner and walked up towards Old Street Station, I knew it was childish of me to walk away from them. But I couldn't help feeling hurt, I had almost worried about him because he hadn't replied to my texts and it turns out he was just busy living his life. Why had I allowed myself to be so dependent on his protection? I continued to curse myself out in my head, turning down another small side street.

My feet clapped against the stairs as I headed down into the tube station, my mind still wrapped up in my anger at Taylor. Why couldn't he just text me to let me know he was alright? A arm reached out and grabbed me, I stiffened in panic before I realised who's magic was surrounding me.

"Why do you always do that?" I stared him into the eye with a deathly glare.

"Why do you always stroll around town completely unaware and unprotected?" he shot back in his arrogant, posh accent.

I pulled my arm out of his grip and carried on walking, anger welling up within my stomach.

"What's your problem?" he hissed in my ear. "Don't want to stay alive?"