Chapter 29

I sat perched on the windowsill, staring down into the garden as the sun fought to reach over the towering brick wall obstructing the streets outside it from view. My ears picked up the slightest noise, even though I logically knew that I once more was safe in the Grimstaw mansion. My mind flashed back to Jasper and Anastasia's grave facial expressions when Taylor had forced me to tell them last night. They had taken it very seriously, ordering their warriors to seal all drains and small cracks under windows and doors with extra protection spells. In the chaos I had conveniently left out my confrontation with Aaron. Another breath of relief passed my lips when I thought back to it. It was lucky that Taylor hadn't pushed the topic. The sun was still fighting its way towards rising, as I watched the first golden rays I could hear footsteps approach down the corridor. Instinctively, I closed my eyes focusing on the energy moving towards me. Taylor. I slipped down from the window sill, hurried over to the door opening it just as he arrived.

"Morning," he murmured, keeping his voice low.

"Morning," I moved to one side as I spoke and holding up the door.

He slipped in quietly, both of us very aware that the rest of the household must still be asleep.

"What are you doing up so early?"

He smiled wryly, "I have to pick up some correspondence from the Royal Court."

I cocked my eyebrow, "Someone who doesn't believe in email?"

He chuckled lightly, "It's for my Dad, things from New York."

"Oh I see. You guys do seem to be found of old timey things. Is it written on a scroll and sent with an owl?" I couldn't help myself, I had to mock him.

"Oh don't be smart," his eye twinkled, "or I might change my mind about bringing you?"

"Where?" I perked up instantly. Any excuse to be back in the real world was certainly welcomed.

"I need to go to the Royal Court here to pick up the things from the New York Royal Court. I thought getting you out of the house might calm your fighting tendencies," he raised a pointed eyebrow not needing to bring up Aaron's name.

As he spoke my heart sunk, I felt like I had had enough of that place for a lifetime.

"I'll sneak you in to see the arena before the matches," he offered, a mischievous grin playing across his face.

I nodded my head in agreement. Perhaps it would be good to see the arena. After all, there has been so much talk about these matches and how they will determine the new king.

We approached what looked like one of a diamond dozen, tall grand buildings in Mayfair. I followed closely behind Taylor as he turned down the narrow side street. He approached the side of the building, his hands searching for the right spot. I felt the hum of magic exuding from it before I could see it. The door appeared and with the slightest touch from Taylor's hand it swung open on its hinges. On the other side of it a staircase was leading down into the underground. My eyes took the cold stone walls, the darkness hugging the cracks of the stone and my body shivered involuntarily. As I followed behind Taylor down the stairs I muttered, "What's the deal with all of this underground stuff?"

"It's easier to hide a big building underground. If it was above ground it would take a lot of spells for the humans to not realise that it's there."

"But why does it have to be so creepy and dungeon like?" I whispered back.

Taylor shrugged his shoulders, "Don't ask me."

The staircase had been followed by one dark corridor after another. Just as I was about to doubt if Taylor even knew where he was going he stopped. He opened the grand oak door in front of me.