Chapter 22

"You are too far west. Why didn't you tell me?" Lucas eyes were flashing with anger through the rolled down window of the car. 

I was too tried to argue with him, so I opened the door and slide into the car. The second I closed the door, Lucas stepped on the accelerator forcing the car forwards with such force.

"Why do you get more uptight for each day that passed?" I shouted at him, holding on to the side of the car as he speed through traffic, leaving a mess of blaring car horns and angry drivers behind us.

He continued to speed forward, turning his head to look at me. I was so close to shout at him to keep his eyes on the road as he spoke, his voice icily calm and each word cut through me.

"I don't thin you understand. The king could die any day now and when he does the matches will be our only way of fighting for the throne. We are in prime heir killing time."

I stayed silent, biting my lip. If he dies, I die. If I die due to briefly enduring the consequences... then he dies. I look over at him, he was focused on the road driving us further east by the second.

"You shouldn't have come this close to the royal court without telling me," he breathed, almost as if he was thinking out loud.

"Chinatown is nowhere near the royal court," I argued back, not being able to keep quite.

"Yes it is!" he snapped back.

I studied his face, the tension just above his brow, his blond hair looking more out of place than normal. My eyes dropped down to his shirt, looking a little bit wrinkly and slightly undone.

"Why are you getting so worked up about everything?" I could see him automatically opening his mouth to argue back, so I cut him off, "I know there's a hunting order out for me. I know it puts your life in danger because of the tether. But what I don't get is why you are getting more paranoid with each day?"

He shrugged his shoulder, "You wouldn't understand."

"You know we are bound together right?" I pulled at the hem of my cardigan. Whatever is bothering him is increasing his level of obnoxiousness. Why can't he just tell me?

"Why where you in Chinatown?" he countered, answering my questions with a question and returning his focus to the road ahead of us.

"Grimstaw business," the lie slipped out so easily. There is no way I would tell him what I was really there for.

"Right," Lucas scoffed, opening his mouth and closing it again, as if he had something he wanted to say but decided against it.

"What?" I countered angrily, sick of his games.

Lucas slowed down the car, I turned and realised we were only a few streets away from my flat.

We drove slowly down the street, I looked out of the window as we passed a school. I waited him out with silence, knowing he had something he wanted to say.

As he pulled the car in to park, he finally spoke.

His eyes boring into me, his fingers closing around my hand, "You might feel safe because of Grimstaw's protection but you have to understand that once the king dies, it'll be a free for all. The only thing people care about it winning the throne."

"The matches?" I added, hoping he would tell me more.

"No," his eyes went dark, "that is something completely different."

I stepped out of the car, knowing full well he would walk me all the way to the front door. Why can't he just give me some space to breathe? As if he heard my thoughts he gave my shoulder a gentle squeeze.