Chapter 15

When I finally came to, the car had already passed through central London. I pushed myself up in the seat, letting my eyes scan the streets. We were not too far away from my flat.

"It's quicker if you turn up there," my fingered indicating left in the junction up ahead.

"Good, you're awake," he replied.

I shot him a sideways glance but his face remained calm, as if he had not tried to attack me earlier. As if he hadn't tried to kill me because I might have killed him by going down the magical network with Lucas. He is such a basket case.

As we turned up to towards my street, I felt a small buzzing in my pocket. The warm glow of my phone screen shone up at me, showing a long list of notifications and a lot of missed calls from Taylor. I didn't even have a chance to phone him back as the car stopped and the car door opened.

"Are you okay?" Taylor practically yanked me out of Lucas car.

"Hey, easy..." I replied weakly, almost stumbling over my own feet.

Taylor released me from his grip, his eyes glued on Lucas, "What did you do to her?"

"I just tested her powers. You did say she could use magic but she's a bit weaker than I expected."

"You did what?" Taylor was full on shouting.

"I have neighbours," I added weakly.

"I can't trust your word, Grimstaw," Lucas replied coolly.

Taylor rolled his eyes and turned to me, "My family wants to see you."

This seemed to trigger Lucas even more, "She will do no such thing. She is already exposed enough. I won't have her placed in contact with anymore warlocks."

"You are the one that's placed her in the most danger. I am here to help her. My family can offer her protection."

I suddenly felt my knees go weak again, but I refused to faint for a third time. My hand grabbed a hold of Taylor's shoulder and I could sense Lucas eyes on me.

I steeled myself and spoke as authoritatively as I could, "Lucas, thank you for taking me home. Taylor, I'll call you in the morning. Right now I really just need to sleep."

I turned towards my door, but I could hear them both moving towards me so I spun around. My eyes were staring them down, "You both," I gestured between the two of them, "should figure out how to work to together."

I pointed at Taylor, "You swore to protected me," and added softly, "for which I am so grateful."

I turned and stabbed the air in the direction of Lucas, "And you," I let all of my anger at his cold and selfish ways out, "you should work with him. Because if the two of you can't keep me alive. You'll die too."

I turned around, not wanting or needing to see their reaction. As the door clicked shut behind me I could hear the muffled sounds of the two of them having a discussion. I shrugged my shoulders instinctively, my shoulder blade burning. I forced my feet to walk up the steps to my front door. I just really need some sleep and a magic free day. That would be the best day in a long time.

~*~

The dark short hair on the back of Taylor's head glistened in the sun as he turned the corner. I smiled for a moment, it had really been sweet of him to walk me to my job for the day. As I turned around I felt the warm rays of the sun and as soon as my eyes darted up towards the blue sky my heart instantly felt lighter. It did feel like spring had finally started to warm up. I swiped through my phone to the map, confirming I was only a few streets away from the studio. A smile crept across my face, it had been ages since I had shot in a professional studio. I really should take Shaun out for drinks soon to say thank you. He's really good at throwing jobs my way whenever he can.