Chapter 13

I ran down the street towards my flat, looking over my shoulder as I turned the key in my front there. At the far end of the street, he nonchalantly leaned against a lamppost. Stupid, stuck up posh boy. As I closed the door behind me I caught one last glimpse of his blonde hair before stomping up stairs. Lucas had followed me from the garden all the way back to my flat, initially he had offered to drive me but must have been completely insane if he thought I would accept his offer. I had tried to out run him and loose him throughout the journey back, but he was quicker than he looked.

I shut the door to my flat behind me, making a lap around the place to make sure Matthew hadn't come home early for some strange reason. When I was convinced I was alone, I pulled my phone out of my bag and furiously swiped my way to Taylor's number.

"Ring..." I kicked off my shoes.

"Ring..." I grabbed my bag and walked to my room.

"Hello?" he finally answered.

"Did you know he was going to be there?" I felt the anger rise up within me.

"Yes, I told him," Taylor's voice was cautious.

"Not only did you tell him where I would be, you also told him I can use magic?" I was full on shouting now.

"I don't enjoy going to him for help. But we can trust him, his interests align with yours," he started explaining.

I felt the anger boil even further up into my chest until finally I exploded, "I have gone along with this for long enough. I trusted you to make the decision. I don't know why but I guess I thought you knew what was best."

I could hear him take a breath about to explain himself but I continued, "I'm done. I don't trust Lucas and I don't care why you do. I am done with trying to understand your stupid world. I know how to take care of myself, so just leave me alone."

I was just about to hang up when Taylor shouted back at me, "You are tethered to him. You can't hide from it and I can't keep fighting of Aaron's warriors on my own."

As I looked down at the phone screen as the call disconnected. I stared at the phone for a minute before throwing it on the bed in frustration. My head was spinning with thoughts as I grabbed my laptop and stomped out to the living room, practically throwing myself down on the couch and turning it on. I had meant what I said, I was done with putting my life on hold for this stupid magical world. My inbox popped up on the screen and I started to angrily type away, responding to work emails and furiously trying to organise my working week.

~*~

I pulled my leather jacket tighter around my body, even though it was spring the wind was still pretty chilly in the early mornings.

"So how does that sounds?" Shaun took another sip of his coffee before moving the cigarette back to his lips.

"It sounds good," I agreed. Part of my plan to get back to work had been reaching out to Shaun, he always knew people who needed a photographer and had been steadily providing me with jobs since I graduated.

"So I'll email you the details of the studio. It's a female singer who wants to do some press shots," he continued, puffing out smoke as he spoke.

"Cool. How's everything with the venues?" I asked

"You know, same old same old. Live music, drinks, people," he shrugged his shoulders.

We fell into silence for a moment and as I looked up from my coffee cup I could see him craning his neck, past me and further along the line of tables outside the coffee shop.