Chapter 24

Lucas was pulled almost flat against the ground. I could hear the men walking towards him slowly. Panic rose up, my pulse hammering in my ears. Think Cara!

Lucas hand moved in the red flames, small sparks of blue energy were fighting their way out of his palms. Finally, something clicked in my mind and I knew exactly what to do. I closed my eyes and focused on the energy storming around Lucas on the other side of the dumpster. His power swirled around softly, I was sure it was his by the cool feeling connected to it but surrounding it was the angry rage of something foreign. My hands opened, using every bit of will power to only absorb the magic from Aaron's men.

I felt light headed as if someone had suddenly cut off all the oxygen, my pulse was rushing in my ears but not out of fear this time. The power pulsated from my veins.

Through a fog of power surrounding me, I distantly heard the silver haired man shouting, "How is he fighting this?"

I forced my eyes open, pushing myself into alertness again. My hands were vibrating with red flames, I could see the trickle of flames flow from where Lucas were, underneath the dumpster and towards me. Shit. I tried to relax, to stop the magic absorbing but I felt like it could already be too late.

I heard Lucas get up from the ground, his voice quivered slightly but remained arrogant, "Don't you worry about that, Peyton?"

"It doesn't matter how you've managed it. You'll still die," the second guy, who must be Peyton replied. The laugh that came from the silver haired man in response, made shivers run up my spin. I have to get us out of this.

I could sense the magic from both Peyton and the silver haired man, rushing to attack Lucas from both direction before it had even happened, as if I was seeing a premonition of how it would play out. His magic is not strong enough. He'll only be able to defend one attack. Before I had a chance to consider what I would do, my hands had acteded for me. Flames of red torpedoing itself over the dumpster and into the alleyway. I could hear the men's shouts for a split second before my attacked stunned them. My whole being was wishing them away, wishing they would never be able to find me anymore. A burning sensation went through my shoulder, stabbing itself way around my mark. I could feel my body fall as my eye lids collapsed and I plunged into darkness.

"Cara," Lucas shook my shoulders. My shoulder blade ached with an intense pain. Why can't I just sleep for a little while?

"Cara, please wake up," Lucas pleaded. My eyelids still felt heavy, as it would be an impossible task to open my eyes. Why is he sounding so worried?

"Cara, we have to leave before any more arrives."

I forced my eyes to open, looking up into his blue eyes, they were filled with worry and his hand was outstretched for me to grab. I got myself up to a sitting position with his help, wincing at the pain in my shoulder blade. Lucas eyes fixed on my hand, which I held across my shoulder, out of the corner of my eyes I could see the worry drain out of his eyes in an instant.

"You shouldn't have used magic," he snapped.

"Was I just meant to let us both die?" I countered.

He stood up, grabbing my arm and pulling me up as well.

"Take is easy," I shot back.

His eyes looked so dark I couldn't see the blue in them anymore, he stepped so close to me that I could feel his breath on my cheek.

"We don't have time to take it easy." His eyes flashed with a hardness I had never seen before.

"The king has died and we need to get you to safety."