Chapter 12

The grey light of the early morning somehow felt calming as we stepped out onto the empty and silent main street of Chinatown. Instinctively, I looked both ways even though I knew that after Mr. Liu's phone call the Charlet warriors had disappeared. I still couldn't shake the feeling that they were somewhere close by watching us.

"Shall we?" Taylor jingled Mr. Liu's car keys.

"Sure."

Staring out of the window as the quiet morning passed us by, I was deep in thoughts. After Mr. Liu had spoken to what I could only assume was Aaron's father, the warriors had backed off. Taylor tried to explain to me that because he was involved it was now political. I had a hard time understanding it, but to cut a long story short it meant that Aaron was still trying to kill me but he couldn't be as obvious about it. Because if he was seen openly hunting me, it would mean a war between the Charlet and Grimstaw families. The fact that I was a Vortex still seemed to be a bit of a sticking point, but Taylor was counting on Aaron only being willing to share that with his most trusted warriors.

"You know I have to tell my parents right?" Taylor's voice pulled me out of my internal considerations of my current situation.

"You know I have to tell them what you are?" he clarified.

"Yeah," I pushed out, my hands shook slightly so I clasped them in my lap and looked him straight in the eyes.

"It'll be fine," he smiled gently.

I looked back out of the window as we quickly approached my flat. As I closed my eyes I could see him and Mr. Liu arguing last night. Taylor shouting how he was bound by his oath to me. Mr. Liu trying to talk him out of it. I shuddered and worried for a second what his parents would say.

"I'll see you later."

I looked up at Taylor and realised that we were in front of my flat.

He noticed the frown on my face and added, "Don't worry about Mr. Liu. He's a good friend of the family and he's like an uncle to me. He'll keep search the books for any mention of the mark."

I nodded gently.

Taylor added cheerfully, "I have to get changed and work. But how about meeting Tanya and me for lunch? We both get off at two today?"

"Sure," I replied and pushed out a small smile before getting out of the car. It still surprised me how he could zigzag from a serious conversation about the ever-threatening reality of the magic world to something as everyday as lunch plans.

I dumped my handbag on the floor of our hallway. I was so happy to be back, this grey knitwear dress was starting to feel like a second skin in the most unhygienic of ways.

"So you're back?"

I jumped at Matthew's voice. Walking into the kitchen I found him still in his pyjamas making himself breakfast.

"Do you want some scramble eggs?" he offered with a smile.

I shook my head gently, "No it's okay."

I knew Matthew well, I knew he got up at the same time each day and made himself the exact amount of food he wanted each day. He would soon be leaving the house on exactly the same time as every other weekday and go to the office, to do whatever it was he did there. I poured myself some coffee and leant against the kitchen counter. Matthew shoved the scrambled eggs onto two slices of toast and examined me.

"So you've been gone a bit lately," he started.

"Yeah, I guess so," I admitted. I knew where he was going with this. Matthew is good at his well-scheduled life and he is good at being a friend, he looked after me more like older brother than a friend most of the time.