Chapter 23

I stared up at the up at the crack running across the top of the cream coloured wall. It looked like it was closer to creeping into the ceiling. Maybe next month will be the month when I finally do something about it? I felt a knot of uneasiness twist in my belly. It lurched around like a small animal, before settling down in the corner of my stomach. I kneaded my lower abs, staring at the ceiling. Laying on my bed, staring at my ceiling would not make anything better. I pushed myself up to sitting, reaching for my phone. Swiping my way to a new text message, I typed, "Great party last night. Did you have fun? Can we meet today and talk?"

I went through my wardrobe in search of an outfit as I waited for my phone to buzz, slowly picking out a pair of leggings and a long top. The air was slowly getting warmer and the days longer, but there was still cold winds. I furrowed my brows, looking at the weather app on my phone. No new messages. I pulled out my leather jacket, it'll probably be cold in the wind today. I stared down at my phone, still no reply.

I poured the steaming coffee into a thermos, my secret weapon on outdoor shoots like today. I knew the boys in Amazing Eight well and anything before noon was like the crack of dawn for them. I smiled to myself as I thought of the shoot planned for today.

"Morning," Matthew greeted me sleepily as he walked into the kitchen.

"Morning," I replied, screwing the top of the thermos on tightly.

"Working on a Sunday?" he raised an eyebrow at me before turning his attention to pouring himself a cup of coffee.

"Yeah, I have a shoot with Amazing Eight." 

I placed the thermos and some plastic mugs into my bag, turning my attention to the two camera batteries there were plugged in a charging.

"That's great. I'm happy for you," he took a sip of coffee before continuing, "You've been really focused on your work lately. I think that's a good thing." He smiled at me and added, "I didn't even know you were seeing someone new."

I looked back at him and smiled lightly. That's because I'm not seeing anyone.

"You have been around and focused on your work, so I would say that you are doing well with balancing your work with the rest of your life." 

He looked happy as if I had achieved something important. The reason why I have been focused on work is because I'm not in a relationship, so it's not like I've had that to distract me. I pulled the charger out of the wall and placed the batteries into my handbag.

"I've got to go. But I'll see you later."

Closing the front door behind me, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. Finally. I pulled it out and swiped through to the new message.

"Hi. The party was great. I can't today, my parents expect me to attend some meetings at the court. How about tomorrow?"

I stared down at Taylor's message, hesitating for a moment before replying back.

"Sure tomorrow."

My feet were briskly walking me towards the location of the shoot, Bunhill Fields were just shy of half an hour away and to be honest I needed the time to clear my head. Why is Taylor's absence bothering me so much? He's fulfilling his role as an heir, his family's protection is keeping Aaron away. I bit my lip, pulling my handbag higher up on my shoulder before crossing the street. The sweet scent from the bakery nearly tempted me to stop, but I managed to keep my head down and moving down the street. Why hasn't Aaron tried to attack me again... Didn't Lucas say I was still in danger... The thought sent a cold shiver up my throat. If Taylor's not around to give me answers about the matches.... Maybe I should... I pulled out my phone again, swiping through to my messages.