Chapter 9

I head into the library to work on my essay. There was only Pettigrew sitting at the table, writing and reading up on something. I go and sit at the other end, pulling out my quill and parchment to complete the final paragraph. I check over the facts throughout the essay from different books. I realise I'm missing one I need. I look over and see Peter stressing and running his hands through his hair, the book I need sitting on a pile of things that will not help him.

I cautiously go up and tap him on the shoulder. He spins around and scowls when he sees me, it's not exactly a mean scowl, it was more of an I-should-hate-you-but-I-don't-know-why glare.

"What?"

I point to the book and put on a 'please' face.

"I, uh, don't know if I need it yet." He replies all flustered.

He picks up the book and scans his eyes across the cover, worry growing on his expression.

I pull out my wand and write, I can help if you want?

"Why would you do that?"

You haven't done anything to hurt me, have you? You just hang out with them.

He looks down sadly and nods.

"I could really use some help, thanks."

No problem.

I pick up my stuff and shift down the table to sit next to him. He visibly shifts a bit away from me in his seat but I try to ignore it.

"They said they'd help me. But then they all say they're busy. Remus did the first three paragraphs so they should be good. I'm just confused on the last two, and the conclusion."

I read through the paragraphs Lupin wrote, seeing what angle he's viewing the facts at. It's very simple, very average, very Pettigrew. I look to the fourth paragraph that he started on his own and erase the whole thing. I go along, basically writing the whole thing for him and explaining as we go. I smile at him once he's finished, checking over once again to see all the facts are in order.

"Why did you help me?" He asks. "Forget the 'you haven't done anything to me' thing, you still had no reason to help me."

Why should I be unfair to others? If you need help and I'm able to help then why shouldn't I? I would want someone to do it for me.

He nods slowly, as if trying to process my statement.

"And why do they hate you?"

No idea.

He thanks me again and I move back to complete my essay having been taken completely taken off track. Pettigrew packs up his stuff and begins to leave when the other three come around the corner.

"Come on wormy, gotta get some things to irritate Filch with in detention. Shame were stuck with the freak." Black laughs. "Oh hi Imogen, I didn't see you there."

I don't look up from my work or acknowledge him in any way. It would only encourage him and think that he has an effect on me.

"Hey freak! I was talking to you!" He calls out.

"D-don't call her t-that." Pettigrew mutters lowly.

"Don't tell my you like-like her wormy? She's a loser, an idiot. Unlovable."

His last description has me tearing up and not wanting to look at anyone.

"No sh-"

I shake my head and get up to leave, packing everything away and clutching the books in my arms. I begin to walk away but they stand in front of me and refuse to let me pass.

"Why are you being so rude?" Potter demands. "Didn't anyone teach you that it's rude to ignore people."

I look around to see if anyone is watching and ignoring, or hasn't noticed yet. I know what happens in these situations, and I never come out on top.

"There's no one around to help you." Black jeers.

"Just leave it." Comes the combined voices of Pettigrew and Lupin.

Black and Potter give each other a look before looking at the other two, then looking down at me.

"Fine, we'll leave it." Potter scowls. "Let's go."

They shove past me, knocking me to the ground and sending everything flying. My ink pot shatters and spills all over the essay I spent ages writing.

"See you tonight Immy."