Chapter 20

Lupin's POV

I watch from the back as the Padfoot and Prongs try to hold back laughter as they make the doors fly shut and trap her in there. Once everything's secure they walk back to where Wormy and I wait for them

"Everything's sealed shut. She won't be getting out until the last day of lessons start tomorrow. Herbologys first, so we'll get to see what happens to her." Padfoot smirks. "Let's get to the ball."

"The irony of going stag." James smirks and we all laugh along with him.

As we turn to walk away I hear her scream faintly. I stiffen and turn back to see her banging her fists against the door and opening and closing her mouth in silent cries and protests.

My heart twists in my chest and makes me want to go out and help her. But instead I continue walking onwards. Towards the ball that she thought she was going to meet and dance with the perfect person for her at. She thought this would be her big break, her chance at proper love and happiness, but no, it was all just a lie that I'd helped create.

We walk into the hall and watch as everyone dances around in joy and excitement. We quickly slip into the crowd and steal away different people's dates for a couple of dances. All thoughts of her fade away as the atmosphere envelops me. I head towards the drinks table and pour myself a glass of punch. I almost choke as the familiar feeling of firewhisky burns down my throat along with the taste of pineapple and cherries.

"Where do you think Immy is? I can't see her anywhere." I hear Lily over the din of chatter and music as she comes for a glass of the spiked drink.

"She'll be fine. They're probably just getting to know each other and everything, stuff like this isn't her scene. I wouldn't worry if I were you." Mary replies, settling on a glass of water and wisely avoiding the alcohol laden punch.

"But I am worrying. She didn't want to take her wand because she said she wouldn't have anywhere to put it, but what if she needs it?"

"We all know she's got a pretty incredible scream. The night terrors, remember? She can just scream for help."

"How could I forget them? They almost gave me nightmares."

I wonder what brought on the terrible dreams and why they still continue, generally you grow out of night terrors at a young age but they don't sound completely normal.

Lily continues to worry and Mary tries to reassure her. Soon both their dates appear by their sides and all thoughts of Imogen vanish. I head over to where the boys sit and join them at the table.

"Her friends are starting to worry about her."

"She won't be found. Why would they go back her. Padfoot cast a charm so that it looks like she's in her bed sleeping, by the morning it would've vanished. Anyway, she doesn't know that it's us."

"I guess." I shrug. "Don't you feel bad though?"

"For that freak? No." Potter shakes his head firmly. "She's way overdue for something like this."

I bite my lip to hold back a retort and look out at the sea of students.

"Don't be like that Moony. Tonight is a happy night! We're not going to go after her any more after this if that makes you any happier."

Honestly it does but I don't want to tell him that.

I soon settle into the swing of things and find myself dancing along with the others to some unknown track. I smile as I spot James and Lily dancing together. I guess he finally got his wish.

We head up to our rooms after the ball in high spirits. James is constantly babbling about his dance with Evans and the firewhisky has made a pleasant reddish glow around everything, making me slightly giddy.

I stumble into bed and smile up at the ceiling. The others sing drunkenly and get changed into their pyjamas as I can't stop smiling. We all fall asleep, happy about the evenings events.

When I wake I've got a hideous headache and Peter instantly hands me a drink to curb the pain. I swallow it in one gulp and get ready for the first lesson, herbology. We head down to the greenhouse and wait for the teacher to appear. She rounds the corner and has me grimacing at her blinding smile.

"Good morning everyone." Professor Sprout says cheerily. "I hope you all enjoyed the ball last night, I certainly did. Last school day today, you're all looking forward to the holidays I bet."

She moves towards the greenhouse door and slides the key into the lock. Everyone crowds around her as she swings the door open. Someone lets out a surprised and shocked scream as they pool into the room.

Imogen lies on the floor, her golden hair spread like a halo around her head and her skin deathly pale. The teacher rushes to her side and lifts her arm, checking her pulse. She starts tapping her cheek and saying he name urgently.

"Someone please go and get the nurse! Quickly!" She orders and someone runs off to the hospital wing.

Her friends try to get closer but she tells them to stay back. My heart stops and I look over at the others who watch the scene unfurl in shock. The nurse arrives and whisks her away on a stretcher. As she passes me, my skin brushes against hers and I freeze as I realise that it's ice cold.

I think we went way too far this time.

Sorry I took so long to update, I had a closed weekend which is when you're at boarding school and you're not allowed to go home for the weekend because they've got something planned for you. It's a bitch sometimes.

Enjoy xxx