Chapter 44

Aren't you going to run?

Her silver cursive script hangs in the air as she looks at me. I smile sadly and shake my head, walking towards her with as sorry an expression as I can manage. I pull her into a hug and bury my face into her hair. I think I take her by surprise as it takes a couple of seconds for her to wrap her arms around me and hug me back.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." I mutter repeatedly. "I'm never ever going to run again. I promise. I'm so sorry."

Her small hands brush against my temple and I feel something enter into my mind, if that is even possible.

"It's ok. Everything's ok."

I know immediately that it's her voice and step back, looking down in surprise. Her mouth remains shut and her hand stays on my temple.

"Sorry." She smiles sheepishly, her mouth still not moving but her words echoing in my mind.

"You have nothing to be sorry for. I should be the one who's sorry." I whisper. "And I am so sorry."

She moves away and a dull ache hits my brain, paired with the cold sensation from the absence of her hand, I want her to be back in my arms. She raises her wand to write in the air.

Don't be like that. She scribbles. It makes me awkward when-

The door flies open and the angry healer from earlier narrows her eyes threateningly at me. "You're not supposed to be in here!" She yells across the room at me, flapping her arms at me. "Go! Go!"

Blondie narrows her eyes questioningly at me. "You said they pointed you into this room."

"Yeah, well......" I say as the healer grabs my arm and pulls me away. "You never know if you don't try."

I flash a wide smile at Imogen as I'm pulled away and given a long lecture about how rules are put in place for a reason and if everyone went around breaking the rules than what's the point in doing anything to help anyone.

I wait on the steps on the inside of the building, watching everyone come and go with a whole mixture of unusual illnesses and other indescribable things wrong with them. As soon as the clock chimes, signalling four o'clock I begin the long trek up the flights of stairs to her room.

The healer pouts angrily at me as soon as I appear in her eyesight, but I refuse to let her ruin this for me.

"Hi." I smile. "I'm Remus Lupin, here for visiting hours to see Imogen Prewett."

"Well." She purses her lips tightly and points down the corridor. "You know where her room is."

I smile again and wander down the corridor, a sense of deja vu settling over me as I go. I knock on the door and hear shuffling and whispers before someone says come in, slowly and in a fancy accent.

"I thought you were a healer." Hannah sighs and stretches her arms out, revealing the box of every flavour beans hidden under her duvet. "Next time, don't knock like that."

"Next time?" I say, raising an eyebrow at her. "How do you know I'm going to come again."

"I see it in your eyes."

That is one creepy sounding girl.

"Um, ok....."