(7) The "it"

3rd person P.O.V

It was still there.

A permanent memory of what Judy had been warned about. The thing that got her so worked up about her best friend Nick.

Deep down, very deep down in her heart, she still had a nagging for the fear of him.

It was when ever Nick became frustrated, mad or angry that got Judy worked up.

Even if they were friends and society has dubbed them "harmless" Nick was still a fox.

Her natural enemy.

Her predator.

Specifically hers.

And she just didn't have the heart to tell him.

She had been very scared this morning. Like usual, they were driving to work. The streets were always busy at this time so traffic had been an issue that was in the process of being corrected.

Nick slammed his head against the wheel in impatience, causing Judy to jump.

Of course this was a normal thing for Nick to do but the current worries in her head and "it" being a permanent reminder made the situation worse.

Eventually it was to much. "I swear!" He had yelled, "if people don't stop trying to drive around other cars on the stupid footpath I shall -" Judy had popped the lock on her door before he could finish his sentence.

"If you don't mind... I'm gonna walk to the ZPD..." She said quickly. "See you there!" She had climbed out of the car and hopped off before Nick could call her back.

He was confused. What had triggered Judy to run off like that?

Usually in the mornings she was patient to wait out the traffic. What made today any different?

Nick tried to spot out a variable that may have changed. Was it his shouting? He always shouted. The traffic? That was always there to... Had she not had enough sleep? No, Judy always sent a good night text to let him know not to call her at midnight, she had sent him one last night.

He was confused and slightly happy to finally notice the traffic moving once more.

Perhaps she just needed the exercise?

Judy meanwhile had just arrived at the station, running up to one of her good friends Clawhauser.

Surprised by her outburst into the room, he looked down at her and offered a donut. "No thanks..." She panted.

"Where's Nick?" He asked her. Judy stiffened at the name of her partner. Clawhauser could tell something was up. "Is he coming in today?" He asked.

The convenient sound of Nick's car being parked alerted Judy. "No he's parking his car right now! Look, tell him I've gone home sick and uh... Give him a lot of work today to keep him busy!" She trembled as she dashed behind the counter and hid behind Clawhauser.

"Judy?" Clawhauser looked at her in confusion, only to see her press her paw over her mouth in attempt to tell him to be quiet.

"Ah! If it isn't my favourite cheetah!" Nick's voice was heard. Clawhauser could feel Judy shake under him.

"Um yeah! Want one?" The cheetah offered a donut.

"Nah, is Judy here yet? She got out of the car on the way to work this morning and decided to ditch me in the traffic... I hope she's okay..." Nick was clearly concerned for her.

But Judy was far to terrified to admit she was hiding underneath the mammal he was talking to.

Why had she suddenly become so scared? "It" never really bothered her until now, had she just suddenly become aware of what she was dealing with?