(14) Key Trustee

3rd person P.O.V

Oh Nick hated it.

It itched, it beeped, it lit up. It was bothersome. He never like the collar and found it did nothing to save Zootopia.

All predators wore it. The law defined them "capable of savageness" since the age of ten.

And that's how it's been.

Zootopia wasn't the colourful happy go lucky city it used to be. Everywhere was fear.

The collars were to signal the ZPD when an animal went savage and knock them out.

Nick wanted to know how the collar knew when to do its job. He could never take his off.

Not until the case of the savage animals was closed. And let's face it, he didn't think his partner Judy could do anything.

She didn't know how he felt, she didn't where a collar because prey didn't go savage.

And that's probably what made him grow distant. The collars were more of a warning than anything.

They clearly screamed "Don't come towards me, we have this collar cause we could attack you!" It wasn't fair.

Almost every animal in the ZPD had a collar. They all looked the same, the all made the same noise and they all looked uninviting.

They all knew that the collars could come off. But the thing with police officers is that they believed they were doing the right task, all but Nick.

They thought it was helping the city but Nick knew that if they turned their heads towards the prey for once, they were all wrong.

No predator at ZPD had become close to a prey anyways. They were either working solo or working with the same class.

Nick and Judy seemed to be the only exception.

And because of this, Chief Bogo found a special tolerance for the bunny. You may not think that as much but it was.

She was the only one in the entire city that had a key to the room next door.

Of course she could easily be over powered and someone could steal the key except the key wasn't a key, it was a passcode.

And she only knew it. Because beyond that door was rows upon rows of small card like chips.

Each one was assigned to a predator in the city. And because she had access to them all, she was the only one allowed to use them.

Now if Nick wasn't angry before, he definitely was now. Because you see, in each collar was a small slit, easily able to fit a piece of paper in it.

That was the release lock. And the keys Judy had access to- they were the release keys.

All she had to do was find the key and insert it into the slit and the collar would unclip itself from its victim.

And Nick hated yet loved that the most. The fact that he was always consistently one metre away from his key gave him hope, perhaps Judy would hand his over?

But it also depressed him, Judy wasn't one to play with the law, even if it meant her own friend. She just couldn't bring herself to do it. Work always came before friends and family to her.

It hurt Nick who she considered a friend. Of course work was important but hadn't Judy believed he was a harmless fox?

It was after work that got Nick on his final straw. They were making their way to the bus stop when Nick tried for what seemed like the hundredth time to Judy, to release the collar.