(9) Midnight Meal

3rd person P.O.V

The thunder clap could be heard from one side of Zootopia to the other.

It was very loud and very annoying.

Judy wasn't scared of the weather, she was used to playing in the muddy ground back at the bunny burrow, the lightening bringing amusement to her as her fellow siblings freaked out.

The pitter patter pattern of the rain hitting against her bedroom window was quite soothing, all the memories of being home were there.

That was probably the reason she couldn't sleep.

A sense of homesickness washed over her, she missed being able to play outside in the rain, Zootopia was coated in thick concrete, there would be no muddy dirty to splash around in and the puddles were most likely filled with litter.

It was crazy, even for Judy to admit that she missed these things, being a grown rabbit and all.

But deep down it sucked. It truly did. Another clap of thunder was heard followed quickly by a flash of lightening.

The clock beside her read 3:00 am. No way was she going to be able to get up the following morning for work.

The third clap of thunder made her reach out to her beside table, groping around in the darkness until she felt the cold metal of her phone.

She turned it on and punched in the password before scrolling through her contacts.

Who would be awake at this time for her to talk to? Perhaps talking would eliminate the homesickness but so far all her contacts were either on "do not disturb" or "offline".

It was when she was half way through the alphabet that she found someone online.

Of course he would be awake- wasn't he one of the most irresponsible police officers in the department?

Judy smiled as she pressed the call button, pressing the loud speaker button and waiting for him to pick up.

The ringing tone could be heard for quite awhile before it went onto voice mail. "The person you are calling is currently unavailable right now, I can let them know you call-" Judy sighed and ended the call.

She turned her phone off and stared at the ceiling of her bedroom. The rain had begun to fall even harder to the point where it sounded like a sea crashing at her window.

That's when she felt her phone buzz. The screen flickered on and a message from her best friend appeared.

Nick XD
Hey Judy! Sorry, my phone was on silent, why u up still? Shouldn't u be all responsible and asleep?

Judy rolled her eyes and smiled at the message before responding.

Me
Yeah I couldn't sleep, got a sense of homesickness... Sorry Nicky :(

Nick only took a matter of seconds to reply.

Nick XD
I was asleep- it's like 3 in the morning, u will b fine!

Judy frowned at the message, usually he'd feel more compelling to do something.

Perhaps she really did bug him, it was pretty late- or early for that matter.

Judy sighed heavily for replying quickly.

Judy
K good nite Soz I disturbed u

She turned her phone off, waiting patiently for Nick to say good night back.

After three minutes she frowned and sent another message.

Judy
Hey... Why didn't you reply?

Judy only frowned more when Nick didn't respond, had he gone asleep already?