Chapter One

Breakfast. One of the most awkward times of day, besides dinner. I dread dinner.

"So, Daughter, how have your missions been going?" My Father asked my sister.

"Quite well, Father. I've been told that I may be promoted to Anbu level soon, if I feel ready to take the test," my sister, Hideaki replied.

"Well you'll be ready, correct? You are ready, no?" Father shot the question at her quickly, but my sister is never caught off guard. "You need to advance as quickly as possible. Be the best," 

"Of course, Father," She bowed her head. 

I kept my head lowered and gaze away from everyone, eating quietly. "Sit up straight, Fuzen," My Mother snapped.

I complied quickly, though I kept my head lowered in deference. "And how are your missions going, Fuzen?" My father asked sharply, but before I could reply, he answered for me. "Oh, that's right. You haven't even graduated yet! Disgraceful,"

No matter how many time you here something, it hurts as though it's the first time it's thrown at you. I glance at my sister, but any sympathy that once lingered in her eyes is long gone. "Moushiwake gozaimasen*," I mumble.

"Speak clearly or don't speak at all," My mother reprimended in her high, clear voice.

I nodded, setting my chopsticks down now that I was finished with the meal. A maid came and cleared my place. My family was rich, high up in the social rankings. It was mostly because my father had connections, being a business man.

My father glanced at the clock. "You may be excused, Fuzen. Don't be late to class," He ordered. I nodded, stood and bowed, then backed out of the room. I grab my weapons pack-- no weapons are allowed while in the presence of my mother and father-- and head out the door.

I breathe in the fresh air. Free! I resist the urge to run down the street, but walk like a 'proper lady', My black skirt swished slightly as I smoothed down my flowing white shirt, hugging my black jacket closer to me.

"Fuzen!" My mother called, "Daughter!" I freeze, turning around. What did I do this time? "You forgot your lunch!" I relax, relief sweeping over me. I take it from her and bow, muttering, "Thank you," quickly.

My mother slapped my cheek lightly, though it still stung. "What did I say about speaking?" She chided.

"Speak clearly or not at all," I replied quickly. 

"Good. Now run along," She turned back inside. I sigh in relief, and begin a slightly hurried walk towards the academy. I didn't want to be late. Lateness doesn't look good, and would reflect badly on my Father.

My Father. I'll never be good enough for him. Never, not in a million years. I clench my hands, trying not to get to worked up. Losing control of myself wouldn't look good. But no matter what, I would never be good--

I was snapped out of my thoughts as I'm shoved ruffly to the ground. "OH! Sorry!" An orange blob shouts at me. I ignore his outstretched hand and stand myself, dusting my skirt off hastily.

Naruto Uzumaki. I was told not to talk to him. It would make my family look bad. I always felt like a monster, ignoring a boy who was in so much obvious pain. 

But all the same, I stuck my nose in the air, ignored his saddened expression, and brushed right past him. Make Father proud, I reminded myself. I walk into the classroom with an air of faked confidence. 

I go and sit by Hinata. I was supposed to make friends with her because she was from an important clan. But she was so shy. Honestly, it was slightly irritating, her shyness. I shared a small smile with one of my true friends, Sakura Harano. The only thing me and her had in common was our insecurities and crush on Sasuke, but we still became friends.