Chapter Thirteen

I hated that Sensei was making us wake up early and meet with him, yet I loved it. Getting up early meant I could eat breakfast without being nagged at and hated on and have to survive through disparaging comments.

I picked at my eggs and fruit. I knew I had to eat. But every bite I eat feels like I'm surrendering, losing the battle. With a sigh I pushed away the barely touched plate. If I had been skinnier, should Shri have actually liked me?

I was so conflicted. Is it even worth it, starvi-- no, skipping a couple of meals to be skinnier? I sigh as I walk out the door. I was ashamed no matter what.

If my team found out I had skipped a meal, they would be so disappointed. And I feel so judged. But when I eat I feel like in losing the battle. I'm getting fat and ugly and unloved with every bite I take. If I just skipped the next meal, I would be skinny. I would be loved. I would be beautiful. I would be perfect.

I glanced up in surprise as I knocked into someone. "N-Naruto!" I stuttered in shock. Then I remembered my fathers words. Turning my eyes to ice, I walked past him.

I start in surprise as he grabbed my arm. "Let g-go if me," I ordered, tugging.

"You sound scared," he notes.

I shook my head. "W-why should I be scared of you?" I sneered, trying to keep the stutter out of my voice.

"I don't know. Why should you be? You're the one who bullied me. Shunned me. Laughed at my failure. If anything, I should be scared of you. But your standing here, terrified." He answered quietly.

My eyes darted from side to side, looking for escape. I licked my suddenly dry lips. I knew why I was scared of him.

It wasn't just because my father would hate me if he found out I conversed with this outcast. It wasn't because of the rumors-- monster.

It was because he was so strong. It was because he was so sad and so confident and so determined. He had everything going against him, even me, and yet he was stronger then everyone.

He had seen me at my weakest. Every time I shunned him, even as my heart was crying out to help him, I was being weak. I was feeble, wasted, forceless, frail, powerless, uncertain, fragile, wavering. I acted like a porcelain doll that had to do her father's wishes. I couldn't do what I knew what was right because I was weak.

I felt tears well in my eyes. "It's not your fault," is all I whispered, unable to look into his eyes. Then I darted away, ashamed of myself.

By the time I arrived at the meeting spot I had control over myself again. I smile and wave at Shun, who was standing there nervously. He smiled back, but his eye betrayed him. They were scared.

"Hey Shun," I greet him as I normally would. He seems surprised.

"Hello, Fuzen," he murmured.

I yawn and sat down on the bench. "Any idea why Sensei is having us meet so early?" I asked.

"No," he was slowly relaxing. "Maybe there's some training regimen he wants to try out," he shrugged.

We both glanced up as Daisuke shouts a greeting. He was holding eight dango sticks in between his fingers. He skidded to a stop next to us, grinning.

"They had a really good sale on dango so I got a bunch to share! Here!" He handed both of us two dango sticks, smiling that wide smile of his.

With a poof Sensei appeared, and Daisuke attacked him from behind. We stare as He wrapped his legs around him and pried open Sensei's mouth, shoving two dango sticks inside before disengaging and jumping away.