Chapter Fourteen

I walked to the kitchen with a stiff gait. Sensei certainly didn't take it easy on us. Even though he gave us the last day before the chunin exams to specifically rest and recuperate from our harsh training regimen, I was still sore.

Sensei seemed intent on getting our general strength, speed, and chakra control up to par. He ignored our specialties and skills, focused on increasing our endurance, speed, chakra control, the skills that every genin had.

But I was confident that he knew what he was doing.

I chewed on a power bar that the maids made for me. It was low in calories but it has nutrition that I needed. I didn't want my diet to effect my performance in the chunin exams.

I glanced up as my sister enters the kitchen. "Why're you up so early?" I asked. Hideaki had helped me train for the chunin exams, teaching me a couple jutsus. One of my favorite was a shurikan jutsu. I jumped in the air, did the hand signs and shurikan rained down everywhere within a ten foot radius.

She explained that it was a sort of summoning jutsu, just not with a contract or animals, but I didn't really understand. I had also adapted it into a genjutsu that did the same thing, just all in your head.

"I'm up to see you off to the chunin exams," she smiled at me. I grinned and walked over to her, and she leaned over and opened her arms for a hug. I pressed my face into the crook of her neck, hiding from the world. "Good luck," she said softly.

"Thank you, onee-san," I whispered.

"Imouto, you'll be fine," she reassured me. "I don't care what mother and father say, your genjutsu is magnificent. Rely on it," she ordered me.

I took a deep breath and nodded, taking her words to heart. "Okay," I agreed, pulling away.

She looked at me seriously. "You must be careful," she told me, "You're a rookie. Don't underestimate anyone. Treat ever single opponent as if they were the most powerful enemy you've ever faced,"

I nodded "I get it, onee-chan!" I whine slightly. She relaxed and smiled as she saw the slightly scared look in my eye. If my sister was scared for me, then I should be terrified.

"Fuzen," she regains my attention quickly, "I have a mission," she told me.

I sighed. "How long?" I asked, trying to hide my sadness.

"A month. I'm leaving later this afternoon," she told me. My stomach dropped slightly.

"Oh," is all I said.

She beckoned to me. I hesitate, and she urged me closer again. I drag myself over to her. Her hand darts forward to poke me in the stomach, and I block her. Her eyes narrow and I hide a grin as we have a small taijutsu fight with just our hands. Finally she wins, poking me in the stomach and making me double over. She grasps my chin and smiles down into my eyes. "You'll be fine," she said softly, something vulnerable hidden in her voice.

I smile and nodded. "I love you, onee-chan," I told her before running out the door so I wouldn't be late.

I was shaken. She had seemed scared for me. Were the exams that bad? Or was it that she knew when she was gone it was hard on me? Mother and Father had only me to focus on. And I hated it.

I waved at Shun, and wait a few more minutes for Daisuke to show up. We glanced at each other, collectively taking a deep breath as we mustered our determination.

"Together till the end," Shun put his hand out.

I smiled and placed my hand on top of his. "Never let each other down."