Chapter 1

© 2016 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

The Buddies Rule

Chapter 1

....................................................................

The phrase, you wouldn't know, defines my entire existence.

The majority of my life, I've been keeping a secret. I had kept it to myself for so long, that I wasn't sure how to even tell anyone about it. By this point in the game, I was beginning to feel like I was living a lie. It wasn't a big lie, and it really only affected me, but it was a lie nonetheless.

When people talk about falling in love with their best friend, you're almost conditioned to believe it can happen to anyone. You want that belief to become a reality, especially to you, because of how great it could be. I can see it. Falling for the one person you trust with absolutely anything. Loving that special guy or girl that you've never looked at in that way before. Though, this belief is almost too good to be true. It holds you back from realizing just what the truth really is. This truth means that even if you're in love with your best friend, they may not love you back.

I got my information strictly from experience.

Chase Davids, the ultimate in the category of a smart, sensitive guy, who cares way too much about science for his own good. I can see him now, sitting right next to me, resting his head against the back of the couch. His brown spiky hair, his hazel eyes that shine as he looks at the television.

His strong hands were currently wrapped around the remote as I fought to get a hold of the object. He almost never worked out, but his biceps were still there. He even had a six pack from god knows where.

"Can you stop that?" He laughed, a rough laugh that came out quickly as he pulled his hands away from my own once again. I could feel my cheeks growing red along with his stare. He scanned me up and down, a smirk resting on his face upon him catching me in my embarrassed state. I still had a tight hold on his hands, the remote was still clasped in between us as we fought.

"I really don't want to," I teased, my body being jerked to the side when Chase tugged the remote away once more. I flipped onto him, my back slamming down onto his lap as we sat on the couch in the living room. My legs were sprawled out and my arms were raised up too high. My hands, more like my fingers, were gripping hard around the covered remote. Chase was still holding it just above his own head. His smirk only got bigger as he looked down at me.

"We always seem to end up in situations like this." He rolled his eyes and nodded to himself. Within seconds, I felt the remote plop down onto my stomach. A wide smile played out on my face before my fingers clasped around the remote.

"I want to watch-"

"I already know." He cut me off, sending me a small smile as he let his right arm hang loosely around my waist. I pursed my lips together to hold back my grin as I rolled into my side, my upper body was still lying across Chase's lap.

"And you're okay with it?" I whispered, biting my lip. My index finger guided us through the many channels until we ended up on the one I had been looking for.

"You know I'm fine with it." Chase shook his head, poking my side gently as I tossed the remote onto the coffee table in front of us. The television was merely ten feet away from the table and couch, so the audio was great for the movie.

"Good." I smiled happily as I settled into my new spot on the couch. Chase leaned back, pulling me up with him as he allowed my head to rest on his chest. He reached back behind himself to get the blanket from the back of the couch. It wasn't too cold, but I wasn't complaining about sharing a blanket with him, either. Chase laid the blanket out across his lap, throwing the far edge over my legs.