Chapter 22

Dedication goes out to 360crush !

Highest rank on the hot list over the last week - #462 in Chick Lit

A sneak peek will be up on the site this Wednesday! If you guys could continue to vote and comment, that would be great!

________________

© 2017 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

The Buddies Rule

Chapter 22

....................................................................

It's human nature, really; the need run when things get to be too difficult. It's our fight or flight response, and it's drilled into our minds. So when figuring whether or not I was going to stay and fight for Chase and Alan, or flee, leaving them to sort themselves out first, I honestly couldn't come up with an answer.

It was suffocating to even think about losing either one of them. Though when I really thought about it, picking and choosing felt like the more selfish option. It felt wrong to even consider sticking around, playing with their emotions and messing with their heads. But little did they know, they had been messing with my head since the start. I had always felt drawn to either one of them, for different reasons of course, but that attraction couldn't just disappear.

This problem wouldn't go away on it's own, and I was only dreading the confrontation more and more.

I kept my head low as Chase and I made our way down the hallway. I wasn't wanting to get into things now. It had barely been a day since Chase was involved in the fire, and he had just gotten released from the hospital. Now wasn't the right time, not when Chase was going through this kind of pain.

"Welcome home." I announced with a small smile, holding open the door for him as he shuffled into our small apparent. He gave me a smile, watching as I shut the door behind him.

"Thank you for picking me up," Chase laughed hoarsely. "I know what an inconvenience it was."

I shook my head, placing his bag of medication and my purse on the table at my side. "It was nothing, Chase. I was happy to pick you up."

Chase frowned at my short response, obviously not happy with it. He reached out, grabbing onto my hand in an attempt to comfort me. But in reality, he was the one that needed the comfort.

"What's going on?" He started, looking into my eyes. "You've been weird since you got to the hospital today."

"No," I said. "I'm just worried about you. I really think we should get you to bed."

"Bree," Chase groaned. "I'm fine. The burns weren't that bad, and I've got an entire bag full of medication to help if it ever does get that bad. What I'm worried about, is you. I know what kind of hell I must have put you through over the last day, no knowing if I was okay."

I sighed, pulling my hand away from his before crossing my arms over my chest, "I'm fine. I'm just, pretty exhausted. I've got this short story due for English three in a day or two. Then we've got Lewis' play on Friday. There's just way too much going on right now."

"Let me help," Chase suggested with a wide grin. "I love your writing, and I know you'll need someone to bounce ideas around with."

"I know," I nodded. "But I think this is something I have to work on by myself. I might head to the library and let you get some sleep-"