Chapter 12

Reminder to check out Something Real on Saturday!

Everyone like the new cover? The one for the second book is even better 😜 no spoilers...

Highest rank on the hot list over the last two weeks - #385 in Chick Lit

________________

© 2016 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

The Buddies Rule

Chapter 12

....................................................................

One thing that always perplexed me, was time. How it could move so quickly if you weren't looking. Or how the endless ticks of the clock could send you into a spiral if you looked too closely. It was always there, taunting and teasing us. If we didn't already know that our lives were limited, time was there to reassure that fact.

The first week of play practice had flown by without notice. Zac had managed to weasel his way in as assistant director alongside Lewis. He namely did this in an attempt to spend more time with me. We hadn't spoken much since his fight with Alan.

Chase and his science friends had made themselves more than useful by bringing Lewis' sets to life. All that was needed was for the actors to get their asses in gear. We all still needed to perfect our lines. I was of course over exaggerating. I was the only actor tanking at play practice.

"Don't down play it," I groaned before I fell back into the wooden chair. Lewis let out a short chuckle at my outburst. "I am royally sucking, and you know it."

"Oh please," he scoffed. "You're doing fine up there. I should know since I'm the damn director." Lewis relayed as he set his pencil down in the crease of his history textbook. "You're doing better than Alan, that's for sure."

Lewis gave me a weak grin as his fingers tapped down on the light wooded table in between us. The other students in the library were silent, unmoved. They were all too focused on studying for midterms; and though it was a bit early for that, I half felt like I should be doing the same.

But this script in front of me, the one with Lewis' name printed in bold on the cover, instructed me to do the opposite.

Lewis and I had somehow snuck away from our regular classes. We'd used the excuse that we needed to work on the play, which, we were. Though I was mainly bagging on myself.

"But you said that I needed to become Elisa. I need to start taking up her personality traits and little quirks. I haven't done any of that."

"You're doing that," Lewis said with a sigh. "It's a process, trying to figure out someone else's life. Its like your taking over for them, picking up where they left off. You're constantly trying to make decisions just the way that they would." I could feel myself slowly nodded as I mulled over his explanation.

Lewis sighed before continuing. "It's much harder to become a fictional character than it is to become a real person. If they were right next to you, you could watch them. You could pick up on the little things, and the way they talk. But with fictional characters, you have to fill in the blanks at times." Lewis teased as he sat up in his chair. "You could act like any of one of us in a heartbeat; Alan, Chase or me. You've got it in you."

My heart began to slow to a gentle thump with Lewis' words. Lately, he had figured out just how to calm me down. "I'm really doing okay?" I asked, my eyebrows raised in suspicion.