Chapter 21

WE HIT 4K READS! And in honor, I have a very good announcement at the end of the chapter!!!!

Dedication goes out to RandieWolfgang!

Highest rank on the hot list over the last two weeks - #467 in Chick Lit

A sneak peek will be up on the site this Wednesday! If you guys could continue to vote and comment, that would be great!

________________

© 2017 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

The Buddies Rule

Chapter 21

....................................................................

For the first time in history, I had no hope. I had always been able to keep some semblance of positivity about me, but in this situation, it was difficult to keep my head up.

It wasn't hard to figure out just why I was so daunted by this whole thing; I had never gotten a call like that. Having someone tell you that the one person you care about most getting caught up in some mysterious accident, can really knock you out of your element.

I had only ever been in one situation similar to this, and even then, I couldn't remember one ounce of that day. Though, even now, any time my mother's death is brought up, my dad manages to twist his way out of talking about her; the pain is still too much. I know that's exactly how I would feel if Chase didn't make it out of this.

Walking down that long, endless hallway leading to Chase's hospital room, gave no easing to my nerves. Wth every step, I could feel the air only growing thinner. There was no way I was catching my breath, and there only other distraction I had, were my two mindless friends. I couldn't keep up with their trivial conversation.

"But if you had to pick," Lewis continued. "Would you kill me, or Bree?"

"That's really hard," Alan shook his head. "I mean, on one hand, you're my best friend. On the other, Bree-"

"Could you two shut up!" I interrupted, stopping dead in my tracks before I turned around to look at them. "Do you have any idea how annoying that is? Pitting you and I against one another for Alan to 'kill', all while Chase is locked up in some hospital room with who knows what's wrong."

"Slow your roll, Bree," Lewis held up his hands in defense. "The nurse said he was going to be fine."

"He was in a fire!" I groaned, crossing my arms over my chest. "He was the last one to get out of there, you guys! He's got burns all over his body, and we don't know what else he could have gone through."

Lewis bit his lip to keep from laughing at my dramatics, "I will repeat myself once more: he is going, to be fine."

"We don't know that, Lewis," I whispered. I had been able to hold back the tears for this long, but I wasn't sure how much longer I could hold back.

"Yes, we do," he said before taking my hand. "Chase got out of there alive, and there's got to be some treatment or medicine of some sort to help him get his skin back to normal. The mental images will leave minimal scaring, I'm sure," Lewis smiled sadistically.

I rolled my eyes and turned away from them both. I wouldn't be satisfied until I saw Chase with my own eyes.

The words, second degree burns, were still bouncing around in my head, and they were only taunting me at a time like this. If he had been in there any longer, he may not have been able to recover, or have been able to make it out of there alive. Even still, he would have to be in some serious pain. I couldn't figure out why Lewis and Alan were being so half-assed about this whole thing.