Chapter 14

How does everyone like the new cover? I'll quit with this one, I promise 😜

Remember to check out Something Real this weekend!!

Highest rank on the hot list over the last two weeks - #229 in Chick Lit

________________

© 2016 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

The Buddies Rule

Chapter 14

....................................................................

If I was being honest, I had always dreamed that my life would be like some romantic comedy. In that sense, I guess Lewis and I were a lot alike. He lived his life in terms of movies, too.

But even if my dreams were hopeful, I had always been able to keep myself grounded. I was a realist, it's what I was raised to be. My father had lost my mother just a year after I was born. He'd loved her with all his heart, and losing her, had broken him. So, he knew when to hold back, and he'd taught me just that.

Here in this moment, however, I felt like I was living a bad movie. It left me feeling confused, half sick to my stomach, and a little wary about where it would end.

I could hear the football team cheering on one of the girls as Alan handed over the beer bong. This, being the most interesting thing to happen at the party so far. I took it as an opportunity to make my way back into the kitchen unnoticed.

My hand had just grasped the red plastic cup and the nozzle of the keg when someone took hold of my arm.

"Bree," Chase whispered as he pulled my body flush against his own. "I know you were just up there. How much did you hear?"

I shook my head and ripped myself from his grasp. Filling up my cup, I stalked off to the hallway outside of Alan and Lewis' bedrooms. I hadn't even noticed that he'd followed me back from the roof.

"Bree!" Chase groaned as he trailed after me. I rolled my eyes and lifted the cup, hating the taste of the beer as it hit my tongue. It almost tasted like someone had mixed it with vodka. "Come on, Bree. Just talk to me," he urged.

I swallowed and turned around to face him. "No. I don't want to hear what you have to say," I spoke firmly.

"Well at least tell me what you heard."

I shook my head, "I heard enough to know how you really feel. That our friendship means nothing to you. Happy?" I shot back snidely before taking another sip of my drink. I could feel myself shaking as I started to stumble down the hallway.

"What do you mean?" Chase called as he reached out to stop me. "Our friendship doesn't mean nothing. Why the hell else would I have hid my feelings from you for this long? I might as well have just asked you out back in ninth grade."

"Then why didn't you?" I groaned over my shoulder, Chase taking hold of my hand.

"Because I care too much about us!" Chase yanked me back. I could feel my vision blurring as the power bumped, causing the lights to flicker on and off. Someone needed to turn down the music or they were going to blow the circuits.

"I really don't care to hear about this," I sighed. I ripped my hand from his grasp, spilling my drink a little in the process.

"Well don't get drunk because of it," Chase hissed while shaking his head.