Chapter 11

Guess what else is out today? The first two chapters of Something Real! Everyone spread the word!

Highest rank on the hot list over the last two weeks - #331 in Chick Lit

________________

© 2016 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

The Buddies Rule

Chapter 11

....................................................................

The thing that I loved about writing, was that I was only ever in the spotlight, when I wanted to be. At any point during the process, I could decide not to put my name on something, stay anonymous. But if I ever decided that I wanted people to know who I was, then my name would be printed in bold.

That was one option that I wished I had in this play; to stay anonymous. I wanted to make sure that no one, not even Alan, found out that it was me playing the lead. The fear of the unknown had gotten me so riled up that I barely knew how to handle myself. Let alone, how to handle Alan.

Nonetheless, I had somehow managed to get myself wrapped up into it, and it was too late to back out now.

"Okay," Lewis started. He pressed the clipboard in his hands onto his stomach as he glanced around at the actors up on stage. "Welcome to the first day of rehearsal for, That Night at the Bar. I hope you've all memorized the first few pages of the script, because we're running lines today."

I could feel my heart pounding deep in my chest, that being the only thing I could hear. Lewis shook his head at me as he watched me take a seat on the edge of the stage. "The crew will be drawing up the sets for the beginning of production tomorrow, so talk loudly. We need to get used to the acoustics in here. All the student written plays, including this one, go live in three weeks," Lewis called.

I nervously flipped back and forth through the small script Lewis had given to us. These plays weren't long by any means, but that didn't diminish the meaning of the play that Lewis had written. This was a love story, one that was forbidden to happen.

Much like Romeo and Juliet, the two main characters were instantly taken with one another. It was as if they had known each other for their entire lives, and because of this, they felt that everything would end okay. Though, unlike Romeo and Juliet, this tale didn't end in a double suicide. It instead, ended in betrayal. Which, explained why there was only one kiss between my character and Alan's.

"Can I have Elisa and Henry to center stage?" Lewis started as he took a seat in the front row of the plush auditorium seats. I could feel a frown forming on my face with his words. "Or, you know, Bree and Alan?" Lewis corrected.

"That's me." Alan announced with a wide grin as he made his way to center stage. I myself stood up from my spot on the edge, feeling all eyes on me when I did. I walked quickly to stand next to Alan, my heart beat still as erratic as ever.

"Let's begin," Lewis said. My eyes went wide as he slammed his hand down against the clipboard, trying to copy that of a movie marker. "Action!"

I swallowed hard against the lump in my throat. Looking up to Alan, I could see the way his hands shook. This only told me that he was just as nervous as I was. Not that Alan being nervous helped me, any. It made things worse actually.

"Can I get you anything else?" I started, my words coming out shaky. Alan's character, Henry, was a customer at the bar that my character, Elisa, worked at. Lewis had written so that, in the play, it was sometime past midnight.