Chapter 1

A/N

Hi guys, so this is my first fanfiction and I really enjoyed writing it so I hope you enjoy reading it. Please leave comments and ask me questions if you have any because I would love to hear from you! I won't do too many of these author's notes by the way, I just wanted to fill you in.

Bell

As I was running home with my brother, Tom, I took in the familiar surroundings of my District, Shiganshina. It was the same everywhere I looked. House after house made of bricks and timber painted in the same old colour built on the same dirty path I always took. It was almost like nothing in my district changed, as though everyone was living the same old life. We knew only of one thing, how to be afraid. We only felt comforted by the false security of the walls. The only thing standing between humans and the merciless monsters humanity calls, titans.

I knew this path well as I always ventured down it with my brother once a week to collect firewood for my family. I was brought up as an obedient child, as my parents where always out of the house. My mother set me chores such as cleaning, cooking, and collecting the firewood. As soon as my brother was old enough, he was put to work by my mother to do the same chores I did, so that I, as an eight year old, was not made to run the house by myself. I never questioned my parents; I just obeyed as it was easier to do as I was told then to argue.

As I took the last turn on my way home, I briefly glanced behind me to make sure my brother was still following close behind. I always had to make sure he was still in sight as he had a horrible sense of direction. I looked back to the road ahead of me and there it was my home. It was just like all of the other boring buildings in my district, brick, timber, and grey. She was waiting for us with open arms, her smile shining brightly. I loved my mother with all my heart. She was always so caring and supportive.

I quickly jumped up the steps and into her arms. She was warm and comforting, and hugged me back. Then I felt Tom come up from behind, and give me and my mother a soft embrace.

My mother ushered us inside and instructed us to lay the fire wood next to the stone fire place. It wasn't exactly a cold time of year, but if mother wanted us to collect fire wood, we weren't going to argue with her.

We set the assortment of sticks next to the fire place and took a seat next to our father at the dining table. The inside our house wasn't big but it wasn't cramped. I slept in a room with my brother and my mother and father shared a room. We had one toilet and a jointed dining/lounge room. There was a small kitchen to the side of the house that consisted of one bench and an industrial stove that worked just fine considering what it was.

My mother stood at the bench and started to prepare dinner and my father was engulfed in the newspaper that lay on the wooden table. I didn't want to disturb his reading, so I decided to help my mother with the cooking.

I had cooked may times before, and we very rarely used different recipes, so I didn't mind cutting up some vegetables and steaming the rice. My mother seemed to appreciate my helpfulness as she offered a smile once I was finished emptying the rice into a bowl.

My father put the newspaper aside once dinner was ready to be served. My brother waited patiently as I walked over to his side of the table with a steaming bowl of rice and vegetables. We couldn't afford meat very often so our meal only consisted of a small range of ingredients. Tom began licking his lips as he dug into the meal before I even had the chance to sit down.

As soon as we had finished eating, I excused myself from the table to go to bed as I had a very long and tiring day. My head hit the pillow softly and I was out like a light, dreaming about life outside the wall and the forbidden freedom that was cruelly taken from humanity by the titans one-hundred years ago.