Chapter 14

All of the soldiers where called into the presentation stage, which was a large, elevated semi-circle in which a microphone and a loud speaker was situated. It had a small roof over it, was made of timber, and had three small steps on either side of it.

It was very early in the morning and the sun was baking hot. All of the higher-ups seemed restless and I had a feeling I already knew of the news to follow.

"Soldiers, I have brought us all together for an important announcement. In two days time we will be embarking on an expedition outside the walls. We will fight with all we have to find the breeding place of the titans in the hopes of defeating them for good. Some of you will die, but your memories will be carried on with me and the rest of the soldiers here in the Survey Corps. You are to give it your all and fight until there is nothing left within you. Your life and the lives of the people around you depend on how much or how little you put into it. This will not be easy, for some of you this will be your first time outside the walls, but you all must trust and have faith in your training and in your commanders. Thank you for your patience and good luck for the future. That is all." Commander Erwin said.

There were some nervous whispers among the crowd, but most stood still and saluted Erwin with their right hand balled into a fist and placed on their hearts. I had to find Levi and Farlan. What if all of the thoughts I had about the deaths of my friends came true? I had to see them and talk to them, to know how they felt and find some common ground before we were sent off beyond the walls in two days to come.

I pushed through the crowd after the ceremony, or announcement. Whatever it was classed as and searched for a tall blonde man and short raven haired man.

After bumping into some people, I finally found them leaning up against a wall. Levi spotted me first and gave me a sad smile. I ran into his arms and luckily he was against the wall or I surly would have knocked him over. Farlan just smiled and waved, but I hugged him once I was finished with Levi.

Farlan took my relationship with Levi quite well as he always thought of us as a couple anyway. He always said that we acted as though we were a couple without being one. It wasn't like we changed much around each other anyway. Every now and then Levi might hold me hand or kiss my forehead, but we would never do anything such as make out in-front of Farlan or anybody else for that matter.

"I'm scared" I blurted out as I tried to contain my tears.

"It's okay, we'll be fine." Farlan said.

"Yeah, we have been training like crazy for the past three months. We are more than ready for this." Levi said.

"I don't think I am Levi, I can't stop crying and worrying about this. I'm not fit to kill. I'm just going to be like one of those irrelevant extras in films that get eaten at the start without a story or a purpose." I said with heavy eyelids.

"Hey, don't say that Mia, you're going to live. You'll pull through like you always do." Farlan countered.

"Mia please don't do this. Don't get yourself so worked up about this. If worst comes to worst, I'll be there to protect you even if it kills me." Levi said with his arm around my waist, pulling my fragile and weak frame closer to him.

"L-Levi, d-don't do this. D-don't kill yourself f-for me! I'm not worth the trouble. Promise me that you won't sacrifice yourself for me. Please!" I pleaded him with tears streaming from my face.

"If it means that you will live another day, I'm not going to hesitate to sacrifice myself. If I can do something to save you then dammit, I will!" He said with tears starting to form in his eyes. He quickly brushed them away.