Chapter 4

I awoke startled and confused, as people do when they wake up in an unfamiliar place and situation. My eyes darted around the room, observing the same wooden wardrobe as the day before and the crumpled sheets that lay at my feet. I also noticed a figure standing in the door frame. It was Levi judging from his height.

I sat up and let my feet dangle on the side of the bed. I felt the wooden floor boards under my feet as I walked towards him. He was looking as bored as ever with his arms crossed over his chest and wearing the same clothes from the day before.

His eyes met with mine and he flashed me a small grin. He turned his back and headed for the kitchen. The kitchen in his house reminded me of the kitchen from my old house in Shiganshina. As I thought about this, I felt like crying, but knew it was inappropriate considering the situation. I sat at the dining table and watched as Levi leaned over the stove. Farlan soon emerged from another room.

"Good morning Mia. How did you sleep?" he asked.

"Morning, I slept well. Thank you for asking." I said. He simply smiled at me and sat on the chair opposite.

I heard Levi lightly banging together two china plates and realised that he was making breakfast for everyone. He put three white plates on the counter and started filling them with scrambled eggs. He then stacked two plates along his left arm and the other on his right and began walking towards the table. He placed a steaming bowl of eggs in front of me. They smelled delicious, but I felt uncomfortable as he was doing all the work.

"I could've made breakfast for you both." I stated. Levi just scoffed at me.

"What was that?" I asked frustration evident in my voice.

"You would just make a mess of the kitchen." Levi said. Oh, I thought to myself. He is a clean freak. That would explain the spotless house and stacked dishes.

I looked down at my breakfast, deciding to not argue with him because it was probably a waste of time. I took a spoon from the table and dug in. I was starving as I hadn't eaten since breakfast the day before. The eggs were gone as soon as they came and I dabbed my face with a napkin. I glanced over at the older boys. They were still eating. Farlan noticed I had finished and his eyes widened, Levi showed no other expression besides boredom.

"You finished quickly." Farlan stated. I just looked at him and shrugged.

"I haven't eaten for a while." I said.

"How long is a while?" he asked

"About twenty-four hours." I said. His eyes somehow got wider that they already had been.

"No wonder you ate that so quickly, you were starving." He said. I shrugged at him again and glanced over at Levi.

He was so handsome from the side. His fringe was slightly coming over his eyes and his lips were drawn in a straight line. His vision focused on his food and his back slightly bent over the table.

I must've zoned out as Farlan was clicking his fingers near my face to get my attention and Levi was staring at me.

"U-um I-I'm sorry what?" I asked.

"I asked if you would like me to take your plate to the sink." Farlan said.

"Oh, no thank you, I can do it myself. I do it all the time at the orphanage." I insisted. This got Levi's attention. He was now looking at me with one eyebrow perked up.

"Did you just say orphanage?" he asked.

"Um, yes." I answered.

I looked down at my hands in my lap, tears were begging to fall, but I didn't let them, not again. He noticed that I didn't want to talk and I was grateful. I stood up from my chair, collecting Farlan and my dishes as Levi was still eating. As I approached the sink I felt a presence beside me. It was Levi. He took the dishes from my hand and put them in the sink and began cleaning them thoroughly.