Chapter 9

I woke up earlier than usual the next morning to the sound of people talking. I opened my eyes and watched as many women dressed in Survey Corps gear, minus the 3DM gear, were shuffling around the room, talking to each other and getting ready for the day.

This was going to be my first proper day of training in the Survey Corps. Part of me was excited, another part terrified, and another part just couldn't be bothered to get out of bed.

I forced myself into a sitting position and let my legs dangle over the edge of the bed. I had an 'okay' sleep, considering the dirty pillows and the rock-hard mattress.

I looked around the room and searched for any familiar faces. One person in particular caught my eye. She was about the same height as me with brown hair pulled into a high pony-tail and a pair of broken square rimmed glasses. I looked to be Hanji, but I wasn't sure as I hadn't seen Hanji in a while and I only saw the side of her face. I was suddenly pulled out of my thoughts when a girl came towards me stood directly in-front of me.

"Hi, you must be the new recruit? Mia! My name is Petra; it's nice to meet you!" She beamed.

Petra had light ginger hair, amber eyes, and was quite short.

"Hi Petra, it's nice to meet you too." I said in a sleepy voice.

"Would you like me to help you out today, as you have only been here for less than a day?" She asked.

"That would be nice." I said and offered her a groggy smile.

I got up from the bed and pulled over a white button-up shirt. I also put on a pair of white canvas jeans and a tan jacket that came down to just above my hips. I slipped on a brown pair of leather boots and strapped on many leather belts around my legs and chest. I was ready for a day of excruciating training.

All of us made our way to a dining hall for breakfast. There wasn't much left to choose from as the men had already filled their faces and were now sitting at the long wooden tables talking. I grabbed a loaf of bread, buttered it and, after some searching, sat down at a table with Levi and Farlan.

"Morning" Farlan said in a cheery voice. Farlan was always the morning person, but Levi and I were totally the opposite. We hated getting out of bed and usually didn't show any signs of emotion until about eleven- thirty. Levi was worse than me though. He always showed almost no emotion to everybody other than Farlan and I.

"Yeah" I replied.

"How did you sleep? How was the girl's quarters? Did you meet anyone? Make any friends?" He asked. He was beginning to sound like a worried parent.

"The girl's quarters are okay and yes I did meet someone. Her name is Petra and she said she would help me out today. I also think I saw my friend from the orphanage, but I'm not sure as I didn't see her whole face." I said in a les dull tone than before.

"Are you talking about the crazy titan girl...um...Hanji?" Farlan inferred.

"Yes" I said as I took another bite of my bread.

Levi stayed pretty quiet for most of the meal, sometimes humming in agreement. He stared straight at his bowl the whole time, he must've been tired.

Petra soon walked over to the table after she was finished eating to come and collect me and show me how the dining hall worked, for example, where to wash the dishes and stack them.

"Hi Mia, so are you ready." Petra's presence seemed to get Levi's attention. He looked up at her and locked eyes with her. Petra's cheeks started going a faint shade of pink under Levi's glare.