Chapter 3

I woke up the next morning with weary eyes, as I did each morning for many years to come. I was now twelve years of age and had lived at the orphanage for four years doing the same chores day in and day out. The headmaster of the orphanage was very strict and would not take no for an answer. I was now good friends with Hanji, even though she could be very loud and obnoxious. I hadn't seen Tom for a while, because the boy's dorm is on the other side of the building and it was considered inappropriate to visit them. The only time I got to see Tom was outside in the playground, which was very rare as we were always instructed to do jobs around the orphanage such as the cleaning and cooking. I hadn't collected fire wood in a while.

The large wooden clock in the dining hall chimed nine o'clock and that was the signal to get to work. I walked with Hanji to the wash up sinks and listened to her talk endlessly about something Titan related. The other girls in our dorm named her "Titan Freak" because of her strange obsession with those awful creatures.

I washed the left over oatmeal off my plate and took it to the drying rack. I then checked the job roster outside the dining hall.

'Girls group 4- Play ground clean up.' I read.

Hanji and some other girls were in my group, so it wasn't so bad after all. I walked with Hanji alongside me to the playground, which in fact was hardly anything of the sort. It was a small patch of grass in the centre of the square shaped orphanage. It also had a swing set and a see-saw. The swing set always creaked and the seats of the see-saw where broken, so not too many children played on them anymore.

Playground clean-up was one of the better chores on the list, not that I enjoyed it, but it was more tolerable that dish stack up or dorm room clean up.

We arrived at the patch of grass and collected a broom each. We swept the grass till there was a rather large stack of dead, brown leaves in the corner. After we retrieved a cleaning cloth each, we wiped down the equipment.

Playground clean-up was better because it didn't take as long to do. Once everything was wiped down and swept, we could go back to our dorm rooms for the rest of the day.

After about an hour, we stopped and admired our work. Everything was sparkling (in a metaphorical sense of course).

We all made our way back to the room and sat on our own beds, Hanji being an exception. She sat on mine.

"What are we going to do now Mia? We have no other work for the day!" She said. I glanced at her and smiled.

"I was thinking I would go into town. By myself." I explained. She looked hurt, but quickly shrugged it off.

"Okay. See you by dinner!" She beamed. At that I jumped off my bed and headed for the front door of the orphanage. The carers didn't care as much as they should've when it came to the safety of the children, which worked in my favour because I was always going into town and exploring Sina. I hated the inside of the orphanage, so whenever I got the chance, I would venture out of the building alone.

I took two steps out of the door and the morning market air hit me. It smelt of spices and vegetables. I walked further out and into the markets to browse the stalls. The stall owners always had the most wonderful things to offer and even though I couldn't afford any of it, I liked to look and admire.

I kept walking. Occasionally stopping and feeling different fabrics and smelling flowers and scented candles. It had been almost been five hours since I left the orphanage and I thought heading back was probably my best option. Considering I walked for four and a half hours, I had to hurry back if I wanted to be back in time for dinner.